1Password browser extension still not working with MS Edge

ToS
ToS
Community Member

I just updated to 1PW 7.4.2 earlier in the week via the Mac App Store. Judging by the release notes, it was supposed to address compatibility with MS Edge. However, I am still not able to use 1PW with Edge (currently running version 80.0.361.53).

I installed the browser extension from the Chrome Web Store and restarted Edge. I am not able to fill login details with Edge. When I press Cmd+\, I get a dialog telling me to install the browser extension I already have installed (see the attached image).

I've tried re-installing the browser and extension to no avail. Any hints as to what could be causing this issue?

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ToS! Welcome to the forum!

The extension works fine for me in the latest Edge browser:

I am also running 1Password 7.4.2, like you. Can you please confirm the exact version of the Edge browser extension that you are running? I wonder if you might have installed 1Password X instead, it would explain what you are seeing.

• ToS
    ToS
    Community Member

Sure, as you can see I'm running Edge 80.0.361.53 with version 4.7.5.90 of the extension as in my OP.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToS:

I see that you are missing a minor update to Edge (you are using version .53 while I am on .54), but I don't think that's the reason why this is not working for you. You mentioned in your first post that you have restarted Edge already, but can you now please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunching 1Password?

• ToS
    ToS
    Community Member

Progress! I received the following error on Edge startup. Clicking Get Help did not actually help. No response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToS:

Thank you for the screenshot! It looks like there is something wrong with your Edge installation, and 1Password is blocking the connection for security reasons. This usually happens for two reasons:

1. 1Password can’t verify the identity of your browser if it’s in the middle of an update. Quit your browser and restart it. Doing so will allow the update to complete, and the signature will once again be valid.

2. 1Password for Mac can only reliably verify the signature of your browser if it is in the Applications folder. If your browser is in a subfolder or somewhere else on your Mac, move it to the Applications folder.

After you tried both of these, I also recommend rebooting your computer once. Did this help?

• ToS
    ToS
    Community Member

Neither of those made a difference.

However, after going scorched earth on my Edge install, I see what's happening. It seems that 1PW only supports the Edge Release channel. I had the Beta channel installed previously. After wiping everything and starting with a fresh download from the MS website, I'm running the Release channel. After reinstalling the 1PW extension, now everything is working.

So, does 1PW intend to support all the different Edge Insider channels?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToS:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted out by installing the stable version of Edge. I am not sure about plans to support Edge beta at the moment, but please keep an eye out on the release notes for any updates about this :+1:

• attaxia
    attaxia
    Community Member

I have this problem still. I am on 1Password 7.4.3, and Edge Version 80.0.361.62 (Official build) (64-bit). I'm on the public channel, not the beta of either.

When starting Edge I get the "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser" popup. I've already tried completely removing Edge and reinstalling, but this did not help.

Of course I've tried different series of restarting applications and reboots, but the problem persists.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@attaxia:

Have you already tried the suggestions in my post above?

• attaxia
    attaxia
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes, both applications are in the Applications folder and I've rebooted and reinstalled everything multiple times.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@attaxia:

Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• attaxia
    attaxia
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    The ticket number is #WLY-53413-652

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @attaxia!

We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your patience!

ref: WLY-53413-652

• attaxia
    attaxia
    Community Member

For anyone else looking for the solution, for me it was running the following command in the terminal:
    mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome

For some reason creating an empty folder for Google Chrome (which I don't have) is required to make the extension work for Microsoft Edge. Weird.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@attaxia:

It's because the new Microsoft Edge is based on Chrome, so it requires a lot of things that Chrome requires, even if you don't have Chrome installed.

• chrisgmbishop
    chrisgmbishop
    Community Member

Thanks Attaxia. Seems either the Edge installation is missing that part of the installation on Mac or 1Password may need to change their reference files for Chromium-based browsers. I had Chrome installed but hadn't run it yet, when Chrome is run once, the folder in question is created and the plugin will work for Brave and Edge

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the udpate @chrisgmbishop, I am glad to hear this :)

• rezzo
    rezzo
    Community Member

Thanks @attaxia ! I just did a clean install on my MacBook Pro, and my Chromium Edge was failing with 1Password. Thanks for giving us the solution.

I hope future versions of the 1Password app will fix that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• averybunker
    averybunker
    Community Member

Thanks @attaxia !!! This solution just worked for me as well on a brand new Mac Pro on 10.5.7, Edge (Stable/Official) 86.0.622.43, 1Password extension 4.7.5.90. I did not have Google Chrome installed either, just new install with Edge.

• Glad to hear that worked! :)

Ben

• rjacoby
    rjacoby
    Community Member

I have both Chrome and Edge installed, copied the json file over, restarted, etc. but my Edge still can't connect to the 1P Mac app. (It launches it, but the browser page doesn't think it's installed).

Edge: 86.0.622.69
    1P for Mac: 7.7
    1P extension: 4.7.5.90
    MacOS: 10.15.7

Are there any other workarounds or fixes?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rjacoby ,

Can you please confirm that everything works fine in Chrome? If the extension doesn't work in Chrome when you click on it, please restart 1Password and both browsers:
    1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browsers by right clicking their icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browsers and test if it is working properly.

If the extension does work in Chrome when you click on it but it does not open in Edge, go to Edge's supporting folder and delete the JSON file you copied in there, then grab a fresh one from Chrome: https://support.1password.com/could-not-connect/#if-you-use-chrome-canary-or-microsoft-edge

After you've done that, restart both 1Password and Edge using steps 1-4 above.

• rjacoby
    rjacoby
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron, that didn't help.

I even tried a step between 2&3 above of removing the JSON file from the Chrome dir, b/c it had a timestamp of Aug 10. Starting 1P, the helper recreated that file with today's date, and then I copied that. Didn't help.

I'd really like this to work so I can use Apple Watch unlock on Edge. (1PX doesn't support)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In that case, we'll need to see a diagnostics report from your Mac to figure this out @rjacoby .

Please send us a diagnostics report after opening Edge and clicking the extension icon several times:

You can send it to support@1password.com alongside a short description of the issue and a link to this forum discussion. Let us know the ticket number you receive in the automated reply here.

• rjacoby
    rjacoby
    Community Member

Ticket: #EZI-31296-381

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @rjacoby :+1:

This discussion has been closed.