Extension doesn't ask to save passwords and icon often is not in the field

DenalB
DenalB
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I was using 1Password for some month and then decided to switch to Bitwarden and deleted my 1PW account. Actually I'm thinking about switching back tu 1PW and so I created a new account with a new vault. That means that no logins are in my vault.

Now I installed 1PasswordX V1.18.0 in Firefox and Vivaldi and want to save all logins into 1PWX. I enabled the setting to save new logins.

But there is no popup for saving new logins. It doesn't matter which website I'm trying. It is the same behavior in Vivaldi and Firefox on two different computers with Windows 10.

Second "problem" is that the 1PW icon in the field sometimes is above or beyond the field when opening a login screen for the first time. When changing the field and switching back the icon is shown correctly.

2 examples:
https://de.gamesplanet.com
https://www.compiware-forum.de

Actually it seems to be a little bit hard for me to switch back to 1PW. :angry:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Just installed beta version 1.18.6 in Firefox but still the same behavior. There is no popup for saving new logins and the icon is not shown directly in the login fields on some websites.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

On my private computer where I'm using Vivaldi I also installed Firefox without any Extensions. I only installed 1Password X. I disabled the password manager from Firefox and activated all for saving passwords in 1Password X.

Still there is no popup for saving new logins into 1Password. Don't know what else I can do...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Could it be that I missunderstood saving passwords in 1Password X extension?

As I can see in your support area there isn't a popup asking for saving a password into 1Password if it isn't available yet. I have to manually click the icon in the password field and have to select "Save in 1Password".
    (https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#save-a-login)

When I want to have a popup as I knew from my former times with 1Password I have to use the legacy 1Password extension together with the Windows desktop app.
    (https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/#save-passwords-in-1password)

Is it planed to bring a popup for saving and chaning passwords in 1Password X extension when extension detects that the password isn't available in 1Password already? Or do I have to save and change a password manually with the help of the icon in the password field?

I ask because I used other password manager and there a popup comes up for saving and changing a password. 8-)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I have to correct myself. With the companion app extension in Vivaldi and Firefox I also don't get any popups for adding a password.

What could be the problem? I tried with "Bitwarden", "Keeper" and "Dashlane" and here I got popups for adding new passwords into the vaults. :'(

I think I need help...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Today I tried the Beta Version 4.7.6.1 of the Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-beta-desktop-ap/phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/) in Vivaldi together with the Desktop App Beta 7.4.741-BETA. But still there is no popup for saving new passwords. :'(

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Still no comment from Agilebits? 😟

@Ben , can you help? Sorry for calling you directly but in the past you helped me many times.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB – I'm so sorry for the delay! The continuous comments were bumping this thread to the end of my queue, but I didn't mean to keep you waiting.

I believe you've answered your own question in regards to how saving operates in 1Password X. You do need to click the Save in 1Password option underneath the field to save an item. However, if you fill a Suggested Password via the inline menu or autofill a password from the 1Password X pop-up, you'll automatically get a popup asking if you'd like to save it as a new item.

Based on everything you've mentioned, it sounds like the companion extension may have more of what you're looking for. That extension is available for Firefox and Vivaldi. Just be sure to disable 1Password X (or completely remove) if you go that route. The two extensions we offer aren't meant to be used together.

I wonder if you'd be willing to take our conversation over to email. The fact that you're not seeing a popup with the companion extension installed doesn't sound right, and I'd love to take a look at a diagnostics report from your computer. That should point me in the right direction. When you get a chance, please create a diagnostics report using the instructions here. Once you've created the report, go ahead and email the zipped folder to support+extensions@1password.com with a link to this forum post in the body of the email. If you wouldn't mind describing your exact issue with the companion extension in the body as well, that would be great. We'll take a look at your diagnostics report and see what we can find.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@kaitlyn - Thanks for helping!

if you fill a Suggested Password via the inline menu or autofill a password from the 1Password X pop-up, you'll automatically get a popup asking if you'd like to save it as a new item

I'm a little bit confused about this. When I'm able to autofill a password with 1Password X it is already in 1Password. So why should I get a popup to save it as a new item?

Based on everything you've mentioned, it sounds like the companion extension may have more of what you're looking for.

I also think so. But isn't it planned to suspend the companion extension in the future and only have 1Password X?

Just be sure to disable 1Password X (or completely remove) if you go that route. The two extensions we offer aren't meant to be used together.

Yes. I know from my former times with 1 Password. I only want to use 1Password X on business computer because here I'm only allowed to use browser extensions.

I wonder if you'd be willing to take our conversation over to email.

Yes, I will do so.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB – No problem at all. I'm happy to help.

I'm a little bit confused about this. When I'm able to autofill a password with 1Password X it is already in 1Password. So why should I get a popup to save it as a new item?

The scenario I'm referring to is filling a brand new password that hasn't been used before. Here's an example of a suggested password in the inline menu:

Clicking that suggested password results in the save Login modal appearing:

I hope that clears things up for you, but please do let me know if you have any questions.

I also think so. But isn't it planned to suspend the companion extension in the future and only have 1Password X?

I don't have any future plans to share, but as of right now, you can choose between 1Password X or the companion browser extension.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We'll also get back to you via email to resolve your issue regarding the companion extension as soon as we can. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@kaitlyn

The scenario I'm referring to is filling a brand new password that hasn't been used before. Here's an example of a suggested password in the inline menu

Now it's clear! Thanks.

I don't have any future plans to share, but as of right now, you can choose between 1Password X or the companion browser extension.

Good to know.

We'll also get back to you via email to resolve your issue regarding the companion extension as soon as we can.

I tried a little bit with the beta App and the beta extension and it looks like it works now. I think that the problem was filling in the login with Bitwarden to take over this new login to 1Password. No popup appeared. But when filling in the login manually the popup appears and asks to create the new login in 1Password. I'll try some more and if it doesn't work I'll come back to you! Thanks a lot!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, @DenalB! You're very welcome.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@kaitlyn
    Is this a known problem with the 1Password X extension? I already asked in my first post in this thread. The icon sometimes is not in the field and so the suggestion popup hides the field.

The website is my own community forum where you can test: https://www.compiware-forum.de
    But there are also some other sites.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB – What's going on there is that the inline menu is loading faster than the page loads. Since the sign in form has a slide-in type animation, the 1Password X inline menu is loading while the animation is happening. I've mentioned it to our developers. However, we couldn't justify adding in an additional feature that forced the inline menu to wait until a page is fully loaded before appearing. I honestly think that would end up with more issues than it would solve. Perhaps we'll find a better way to manage it in the future, though.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn . That's good to know! :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB – Anytime! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.