Something seizing focus away from extension on browser launch

Recently installed the beta 1.18.6 in Firefox 72.0.1 (Ubuntu release 72.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.19.10.1). Don't expect a linux agent any time soon, but looking forward to Windows integration, so when I'm on my work notebook, I'll be able to use integration there, and fall back to browser only when in Linux, whilst still having my browser profiles synced between machines.

Aaaaanyway, I noticed, possibly since installing the beta, that when I launch firefox, and then click on the 1Password X extension to enter my credentials, if I do it too soon, something closes the 1Password password dialog, and seizes focus back to the main browser window shortly thereafter, resulting in my keystrokes being entered into the location/search bar instead. Bit disconcerting when you start entering password, muscle memory running on autopilot, and then realise you've been firing your master password off into the cloud via DNS request :-/

Besides 1Password X, I'm also running uBlock Origin, NoScript, and Greasemonkey. I do have the non-beta 1Password X installed as well, but it's disabled. I'm using a desktop when this happens, not a notebook, so I'm not brushing a trackpad or the like. I do have Firefox Sync running (but password storage/sync is disabled).

Any ideas? In the interim, I think I'll just pause a bit before I go to enter my password, and keep more of an eye on the focus as I type it :)

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @adfhogan! Thanks for sharing this with us. That doesn't sound ideal in any way, shape, or form, especially the part regarding potentially typing your Master Password and pressing enter in the wrong spot.

I decided to start by giving it a try on my own computer to see if I could reproduce. Granted I'm on macOS, I wasn't able to get anything similar to happen on my machine no matter how many times I tried. I've got a couple different troubleshooting steps we can try just to see if we can pinpoint where the issue is coming from. First, could you try disabling all other extensions aside from 1Password X? After that, quit Firefox and reopen it and let me know if you still see the same issue. If so, would you mind grabbing your 1Password X log in Firefox? I wonder if that'll give us any hints. To grab your logs, you can follow this guide.

Let me know how it goes!

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

I created an entirely separate firefox profile with absolutely no changes from stock Ubuntu except for 1Password X beta installed, and saving passwords within firefox disabled.

I launch Firefox.. click on the 1Password X beta icon.. leave it at the login prompt.. then in a few seconds, it will close 1Password X beta, and return focus back to the last thing selected in the main window.

Given the timing issue around the debugging, I'll see what I can do.

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

It looks like the behaviour persists for up to 15 seconds from the browser UI being available, to it not pulling focus back when an extension dialog is launched.

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

Going back to my normal browser profile, the focus seizing doesn't happen with Greasemonkey, uBlock Origin, or NoScript's dialogs in the same time window, so out of four plugins, it seems limited to 1Password X.

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

I disabled X beta, and re-enabled X on my normal profile.. and it did not have focus seized/lose focus.. Is there something different about the 1Password X beta launch sequence?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate you spending some time testing this out! Would you mind taking a look at your 1Password X log next time the issue happens? You can find our guide here. If you don't mind posting them as a comment in this thread, that'd be great. If you'd feel more comfortable sending them via email, then we can go that route. Just let me know what you're thinking.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

I'm also seeing this behavior on MacOS Chrome stable.

Looking at the timing of the focus being stolen, it appears to line up with with the desktop integration failing.

09:18:08.725 background.js:27 Initializing 1Password X...
    09:18:08.969 background.js:27 Initializing Desktop App Integration. Attempting to connect to native app. πŸ’Œ
    09:18:08.992 background.js:27 Finished initializing beta 1Password X 1.18.6 in chrome (20099)
    09:18:08.997 background.js:27 πŸ–₯ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    09:18:09.126 background.js:27 Preparing hello payload for device p75zwd3fkx2v75wl5xzbkfr7ie:
    09:18:09.126 background.js:27   (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU, IZPEGM5QKJGUZPJ6L3N56G7C6E, 1password.com)
    09:18:09.129 background.js:27 Native app port disconnected. Error: Access to the specified native messaging host is forbidden.
    09:18:09.151 background.js:27 crypto tests: 180.85791015625ms
    09:18:09.152 background.js:27 Signing payload for account JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU with kid ealajeliugmljuhgvbwduspku4
    09:18:09.158 background.js:27 🌈 Sending <hello> message to native app
    09:18:09.158 background.js:27 πŸ’₯ Failed to send <hello> because our port was disconnected. Browser code signature became invalid?
    09:18:11.632 background.js:27 πŸ–₯ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    09:18:11.741 background.js:27 Preparing hello payload for device p75zwd3fkx2v75wl5xzbkfr7ie:
    09:18:11.741 background.js:27   (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU, IZPEGM5QKJGUZPJ6L3N56G7C6E, 1password.com)
    09:18:11.743 background.js:27 Native app port disconnected. Error: Access to the specified native messaging host is forbidden.
    09:18:11.747 background.js:27 Signing payload for account JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU with kid ealajeliugmljuhgvbwduspku4
    09:18:11.757 background.js:27 🌈 Sending <hello> message to native app
    09:18:11.757 background.js:27 πŸ’₯ Failed to send <hello> because our port was disconnected. Browser code signature became invalid?
    09:18:16.745 background.js:27 πŸ–₯ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    09:18:16.842 background.js:27 Preparing hello payload for device p75zwd3fkx2v75wl5xzbkfr7ie:
    09:18:16.842 background.js:27   (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU, IZPEGM5QKJGUZPJ6L3N56G7C6E, 1password.com)
    09:18:16.846 background.js:27 Native app port disconnected. Error: Access to the specified native messaging host is forbidden.
    09:18:16.864 background.js:27 Signing payload for account JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU with kid ealajeliugmljuhgvbwduspku4
    09:18:16.871 background.js:27 🌈 Sending <hello> message to native app
    09:18:16.871 background.js:27 πŸ’₯ Failed to send <hello> because our port was disconnected. Browser code signature became invalid?
    09:18:26.848 background.js:27 πŸ–₯ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    09:18:26.941 background.js:27 Preparing hello payload for device p75zwd3fkx2v75wl5xzbkfr7ie:
    09:18:26.941 background.js:27   (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU, IZPEGM5QKJGUZPJ6L3N56G7C6E, 1password.com)
    09:18:26.941 background.js:27 Signing payload for account JF3PQH3C6FAA3D3KNN6BYSN3XU with kid ealajeliugmljuhgvbwduspku4
    09:18:26.950 background.js:27 🌈 Sending <hello> message to native app
    09:18:29.744 background.js:27 Native app port disconnected. Error: Access to the specified native messaging host is forbidden.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Yup. I just turned desktop integration off, and it wasn't losing focus anymore.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Super interesting. Thank you, @plttn. I'll make sure I get this on my team's radar. Out of curiosity, do you recall if Desktop App Integration was enabled by default when you installed 1Password X?

@adfhogan – Could you confirm if the issue is resolved if you disable Desktop App Integration on the 1Password X settings page?

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

I don't remember if it was enabled by default, but I've had it enabled pretty much the entire time I've been running beta to take advantage of it on my MacBook.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

So sorry, @plttn. I went straight into reading the log you posted, and I completely skipped over where you said you were on macOS. That's my bad. @adfhogan actually shouldn't have the option to enable Desktop App Integration since they're on Linux. I'm still curious what's in their log looks like.

• jack_inc
    jack_inc
    Community Member

I've been experiencing similar behavior with the 1.18.6 extension on different browsers and OSs recently; e.g., Vivaldi on Linux and Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10. I don't see the issue with Chromium Edge on Windows 10 using the 1.17.0 standard X version. If I wait about 30 seconds before clicking on the extension icon and entering my master password, it works okay.

I think this is the same problem reported in this post.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jack_inc – Next time you notice it, could you try grabbing your 1Password X log as well as your browser log? I'd like to see where focus is going to after it's taken away from 1Password X. If you'd rather not post your log here, you're welcome to email them to support+x@1password.com.

• jack_inc
    jack_inc
    Community Member

Thanks, @kaitlyn . I have emailed my logs to support and included a link to this thread.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jack_inc – Thanks so much! I went ahead and replied via email.

ref: FTU-92458-949

This discussion has been closed.