Feature request: Use already-open about:blank/about:newtab tab

I use container tabs in firefox. I often want to sign in to an account in a specific container. When using the "Go" function in 1Password X, it always opens its own tab, with no container designation, even if I was already in an about:newtab or about:blank tab in the container I wanted to use.

My preferred behavior would be to check the current tab's address, and if it's about:blank or about:newtab (or the chrome flavor of the same), use the current tab instead of opening a new one.
Alternatively, just offer a toggle in settings for "'Go' button opens new tab" (disabled= use current tab regardless of location).

Thanks!

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 1.10.3
OS Version: ArchLinux, Firefox 62.0
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:about:blank

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @akano! Thanks for your request. The multi-account containers add-on is a pretty sweet solution to an important problem. Right now, though, it's a little hacky to try to reason about the user's intentions in this environment as there's no API currently for specifying the cookieStoreId when creating a new tab. (It looks like this feature will be in Firefox 64, which is quite a ways from stable release…) I actually looked into this late last year before determining that it was simply too new and unstable to move forward with. I think Mozilla is moving things forward, but I think it will still be some time before we are able to fully embrace it.

I hope this helps! Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member

I'd like this feature too. Wouldn't akano's suggestion workaround the lack of a stable API for this?

• akano
    akano
    Community Member

Yeah, I can't come up with a good way to integrate context tabs into 1p, and won't try to ask you to do that for a probably niche feature.
    I think you could make tab contexts a lot easier to use without having to actually deal with tab contexts, by implementing either the about:(blank|newtab) check or the "use current tab" toggle.

• I like the idea of reusing the current tab if it's about:blank or about:newtab. We should be able to do that.

++dave;

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

I just double-checked that Firefox allows us to update the URL on about:blank and about:newtab and happy to report I was able to implement that change. Pending any unforeseen issues in review, you should see it in our next beta! 😀

Have a great week! 💙

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• This should be working now in both release and beta channels. 🎉 Thanks again for the request! 🙌

++dave;

• akano
    akano
    Community Member

I noticed this working a while ago, and it's much appreciated!
    Unfortunately it seems to not be working now in 1.14 or 1.14.3 on FF 66.0.3 (Arch and Win10).

$ rm -rf ~/.mozilla ; firefox
    about:config ->
    privacy.userContext.enabled = true
    privacy.userContext.longPressBehavior = 1
    Install 1Password X from AMO, sign in
    Open new container tab, hit 1pX button, click "GO" next to an entry
    Expected: site opens in current context tab.
    Observed: Current tab is closed, new contextless tab is opened with site.

Thank you!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Hey @akano! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I passed the report along to our developers, and I'll update here once I have news.

ref: x/b5x#1063

• akano
    akano
    Community Member

Thanks. Just to bump/update: Still appears to be a regression in 1.18.0

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the bump, @akano. I'll let my team know that you checked in, but I don't have anything new to share at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.