1Password for iOS interrupts streaming video every 10 minutes

wardsislander
wardsislander
Community Member

Provided you have a library card you can access for free (on your library's website) Medici-TV, an app that streams a huge online catalog of classical music videos, operas, etc. I use 1Password to login to Medici-TV on my library's website. However, for some reason, once I am watching, say, a classical concert on my iPad Air 2, exactly every 10 minutes the 1Password Master Login screen appears over the video while the music continues to play underneath. Once I enter the master password, 1Password disappears and the video reappears uninterrupted. Very strange! Any suggestions gratefully received.

1Password Version: 7.4.5 for iOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @wardsislander

Are you watching the video within the 1Password app? If so that would be expected behavior. Instead I'd recommend watching in Safari. You can fill logins from 1Password in Safari using these instructions:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Ben

• wardsislander
    wardsislander
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me, Ben. Since you ask, no I am not watching the video within the 1Password app. As you suggest, I am using 1Password to fill in the login information of my public library's Medici-TV website in Chrome (which I prefer to Safari). Once I have successfully logged-in, there should be no need for 1Password to have anything more to do with my viewing. However, as I explained in my post, the 1Password Master Login screen appears over the video every 10 minutes while the music continues to play underneath. Once I enter the master password, 1Password disappears and the video reappears uninterrupted.

However, I seem to have found a work-around: rather that going through 1Password, I have bookmarked the library's Medici-TV website in my browser and when its login screen appears I fill in the necessary information from the iPad virtual keyboard when I see the password prompt. It seems to be working!

• @wardsislander

So to be clear, when this problem was occurring, you were not starting the process by launching the 1Password app? If you were in Chrome rather than 1Password I don't see how it would be possible for the 1Password login screen to appear without any interaction. 1Password wouldn't be running at that point.

Ben

• wardsislander
    wardsislander
    Community Member

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, Ben. I started the process by launching the 1Password iOS app, scrolled down to my public library's Medici-TV website, clicked on the URL, which in turn launched Chrome and filled-in the library's login screen. Once in Chrome, like you I don't see how it was possible for the 1Password Master Login screen to appear even once, let alone every 10 minutes! I can assure you that there was no interaction on my part. I was simply watching the J.S.Bach video in Chrome while holding the iPad.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@wardsislander

If I am following correctly? It sounds (to me) as if you opened the browser within 1Password. If I tap on a URL in a login, the built in browser within 1Password opens up.

Would you mind opening 1Password and pressing, and holding the gear icon, at the bottom of the start page for a few seconds. This will open the built in browser and show you the last visited page.

• The only options that should be available when long clicking the website field are "Copy, Open, Open in Safari." I don't have an option for Chrome.
  • wardsislander
    wardsislander
    Community Member

My humble apologies to you both. In my explanation I was getting confused between the way 1Password operates on my MacBook Pro rather than my iPad. It had never occurred to me that 1Password on the iPad opens a built-in browser, which is indeed Safari. That said, is it likely that a built-in browser might be more susceptible to an interaction between 1Password and the URL on which I am watching my video? Thank you for your patience.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

No worries and no need for apologies. It has gotten all of us.
    * cough cough, I sheepishly drag my foot on ground, while whistling. At one time I was also in this very situation. ;)

is it likely that a built-in browser might be more susceptible to an interaction between 1Password and the URL on which I am watching my video?

I believe so, I think the background limit for an app is 10 minutes for iOS, and for some reason that backgrounding is triggering the authentication again. That is purely a speculation on my part.

Glad to help out, and solve the problem.

• edit looks like I am showing my age it was 10 minutes up till iOS 7, :(
This discussion has been closed.