Best 1Password experience for Microsoft Edge (Chromium)?

Options
gandalf_saxe
gandalf_saxe
Community Member

Hi,

Apologies for making yet another topic one 1Password in Microsoft Edge (Chromium), but there are so topics and opinions and ways to get 1Password in the browser that now I'm just going to ask: What is the best way to have 1Password integrated in Microsoft Edge (Chromium)?

It seems like there are four possibilities:

1Password (chrome web store)
1Password beta (chrome web store)
1Password X (chrome web store)
1Password X beta (chrome web store)
1Password X (microsoft edge addons)

Some of them integrate with the state of the native app directly (locks/unlocks, uses same preferences etc.), but possibly required a workaround etc. It's too confusing for me at this point. Ideally I'd like for it to integrate with the native app if possible, and not have to login separately, instead of adding yet another instance of 1Password, having it's own keyboard shortcut assigned (⇧⌘X which I'm not so crazy about) etc.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gandalf_saxe:

having it's own keyboard shortcut assigned (⇧⌘X which I'm not so crazy about)

You can change the default keyboard shortcut if you prefer ;)

In your case, I would suggest the traditional browser extension (not 1Password X, which does not integrate with the desktop app unless you are using the beta).

• gandalf_saxe
    gandalf_saxe
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sure I could change it :) But then I'd also have to change the default shortcuts for I can't find 1Password (non-X) in the Edge store, so I assume you mean this from the chrome web store? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/related

When I invoke the shortcut for "Fill login or Show 1Password, I still get this:

When I click the icon in the menu bar (which is black/white, not colored, whatever that means), I get this menu:

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried restarting Edge and restarting 1Password, but for some reason it didn't work until I restarted my Mac. All good now :chuffed:

I'm curious, are the two extensions (X / non-X) going to merge at some point or do you envision maintaining two separate extensions indefinitely?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gandalf_saxe:

EDIT: I tried restarting Edge and restarting 1Password, but for some reason it didn't work until I restarted my Mac. All good now :chuffed:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that a reboot worked :)

I'm curious, are the two extensions (X / non-X) going to merge at some point or do you envision maintaining two separate extensions indefinitely?

They will remain separate for the foreseeable future, so everyone can install the extension that they prefer. I don't think we have anything to share about future plans about this yet.

This discussion has been closed.