1Password behaving oddly on most of my devices

Ben_Reubenson
Ben_Reubenson
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Problem summary: 1Password extension Fill buttons do not appear in web forms on some of my devices

Verbose:
I have 1Password installed on 3 Windows 10 computers. To keep these devices clear, I will specify them below:

• 1Password and extension work flawlessly: Windows 1803 Lenovo Thinkpad T480
  • 1Password extension has issues: Windows 1809 Surface Book 2
  • 1Password extension has issues: Windows 1903 desktop

On my Thinkpad, 1Password will populate a "fill" button on web forms. If I click it, it will fill the form data on the text field for my password/username. This is how I wish 1Password to work on all my devices. However, on my other two Windows computers, it is not working. See below:

I do not have access to the computer where this is working so I am not able to show you what I expect it to work like. As a substitute, I logged into Keeper password manager to show this feature working properly with that extension:

Do note: Please do not suggest that Keeper is causing a conflict. I have had this issue since before installing Keeper. If you suggest that Keeper is causing a conflict, I will hire a gremlin to clout you in the head for not reading my post in its entirety.

This faulty behavior has persisted since I first installed 1Password on my desktop and Surface Book 2. That is, I have never had it working properly on these devices.

I do not know what I did differently upon the install that has caused it to not work. I have noticed that on the computers where it isn't working, the extension shows a gray scale filtered icon. See below:

On my Thinkpad, 1Password browser extension shows in full color. I expect this is an indication of some error, but I am either daft or 1Password is heinously negligent in offering decent documentation on this behavior. Below is my only hint:

If I right-click the extension icon, I am told that the 1Password app is required. I do not know if this is the browser's way of telling me that I need the desktop app or not. Regardless, I have conveniently taken a snapshot of my desktop alongside the 1Password app being open and very-much installed.

Simple troubleshooting I have tried:

• Delete 1Password extension -> Reboot browser
  • Reinstalling 1Password app -> reboot
  • Install 1Password on Chrome (Surface Book 2)
  • Install 1Password on Edge (Desktop)

No combination of these are working. Obviously, this is very irritating to me otherwise I would not have gone out of my way to make a long post on a forum (forum? what is this, 1997?). On that note, why can we only seek support by forum? It feels disgusting and lazy to try and pawn support off to good Samaritans on the Internet, but I digress.

Please, if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Hopefully this is a simple issue and I can feel like the idiot in the end.

Cheers,
-Ben

1Password Version: Current version
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (on my desktop at least)
OS Version: 1809, 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

Hi @Ben_Reubenson,

Thank you for your detailed report! It is really helpful and I appreciate the writeup of the issue that you did.

If you see 1Password icon in the sign-in forms on your Thinkpad, it means that you installed 1Password X in the browser there:

Get to know 1Password X

It looks like you installed 1Password X on your Thinkpad, but our companion extension in the browser on other Windows computers. If you want to see the same behaviour on all computers, please uninstall the companion extension (it is called "1Password extension (desktop app required)") and install 1Password X (it is called "1Password X – Password Manager") instead. Here is the direct link to 1Password X for the new version of Microsoft Edge (I noticed that you use it on your screenshots):

1Password X for the Microsoft Edge

Please note that 1Password X works entirely in your browser and it doesn't need to connect to 1Password 7 for Windows.

Let me know how it works for you after that. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

ref: QXZ-19197-515

• Ben_Reubenson
    Ben_Reubenson
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Thank you for the explanation, Greg. I went ahead and installed 1 Password X on my devices. The extension is now working to my liking.

As a note of curiosity, what needs are fulfilled by 1 Password - Desktop App Required? It seems like a less fleshed-out version of the app that also has an additional dependency. I assume I am missing out on what this version of the extension is intended to do.

• Hey there @Ben_Reubenson 🎉

1Password X is our newest browser extension that works directly with a 1Password.com account and doesn't even require a standalone 1Password app like 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows in order to function. It's pretty great if you've got all your data in a 1password.com account, since you're now restricted only by what browsers you can install (Chrome and Firefox, as well as some Chrome derivatives like Brave and Vivaldi, are supported). So it works on Linux, on Solaris, nearly anywhere you can install Chrome.

It seems like a less fleshed-out version of the app that also has an additional dependency.

The end goal is to have 1Password X replace the desktop browser extension...but not in the way you might think. Since releasing the 1Password.com server backend, it's quickly become not only the best but also far and away the most popular way for newer users to use 1Password.

As time goes on, there are fewer and fewer users who still have standalone 1Password data (which is the only way you'd need the "requires companion app" 1Password extension.) So in a sense, 1Password X will eventually replace the Desktop App Required Extension...by superseding it for the vast majority of users.

This discussion has been closed.