Shared vault password

ckummerow
ckummerow
Community Member

My wife and I got new MBPs. I added 1Password to both. Unfortunately, hers (in retrospect, logical) is needing my Master Password, not the one she uses on her old MBP and iPhone. I screwed up. Mea Culpa. Any hope for fixing it? Basically, the Shared Vault she uses needs her own password for consistent password access for her across the board.

1Password Version: Family 1Password 7
Extension Version: 7.4.2
OS Version: OS 10.15.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckummerow!

If you are using a Families account, does this mean that both of you are using the same Secret Key and Master Password? Basically, are you both logging in to the same account, instead of two separate ones, when you unlock your 1Password apps?

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Crazy as it sounds, she is using a separate Master Password from mine on her iPhone and old MacBook Pro, which were set up a long time ago. (We are sharing a Families account.) When I added 1Password to her new MacBook Pro, I used my Secret Key by scanning the QR code. Now she needs my Master Password on that device instead of her Master Password, which works on al herl other devices. What I would like to do would be to change her settings on her new MBP to be the same as her older MBP and her iPhone X. Suggestions to right my wrong are most certainly welcome!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ckummerow:

When I added 1Password to her new MacBook Pro, I used my Secret Key by scanning the QR code. Now she needs my Master Password on that device instead of her Master Password, which works on al herl other devices

By doing this, you have added your account to her 1Password app on this device, so this explains why she is asked for your Master Password to login here.

Crazy as it sounds, she is using a separate Master Password from mine on her iPhone and old MacBook Pro, which were set up a long time ago. (We are sharing a Families account.)

Is is possible that she might be still having old standalone vaults on her other devices? So something that is not stored in your Families account, but is still stored on iCloud or Dropbox instead? You can check this by opening her 1Password app and checking whether she is still using a vault called Primary on those devices. The Primary vault has nothing to do with your Families account, so this would explain the different password there.

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Hmmmmm. Interesting. We are heading out for the day in a bit. Will do what we can on the road. Appreciate your time. One more thing. How hard would it be to delete 1Password from her new MBP and then add her to the Families account if she is, indeed, using a older version of 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ckummerow:

From what you wrote, I don't think she is using an older version of the 1Password app. I think that she might have an old vault inside the 1Password app that she is using, which is causing this.

For clarification, the way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

If I am right, all you need to do is invite her to your Families account, if you haven't already, move her existing data to her new account, and remove the old Primary vault from the app.

Now she will be able to login with her 1Password credentials :)

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Will give it a go when we both have a little bit of uninterrupted time. 🥴 Thanks for the guidance. Hopefully I can answer one more time with the good news that all is well again. 🤞

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @ckummerow! Sounds good, let us know how things go :)

Have a great weekend!

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Oh, boy! Where did this week go? Karen and I have not had a moment to ourselves since last week. However, as she took off for the day today, she gave me permission to work on her 1Password issue.
    I tried to invite her to my account, but it says I already did invite her. It appears that it won't let me do that again. So she is where she was, needing to use my Master Password on her new Mac. Wondered if I need to remove the whole app from her machine, then re-install it. But then what would I do without ending up where I am right now? I so wished to be able to give you some good news, certainly sooner than this, but, alas, it was not meant to be.....

• @ckummerow

On Karen's iPhone if she opens 1Password and navigates to Settings > 1Password Accounts is there anything listed there?

Ben

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Just fired a message off to her since she is out of town at the moment.

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

She sent me this screen shot.

• Thanks @ckummerow. I've removed the screenshot as it contains some personal information and this is a public forum, but it was very helpful. It appears Karen does already have her own account within your membership. If she opens Categories > Logins does she see a listing for 1Password.com? If so that should have the credentials on it that she needs to use to log in on other devices. Alternatively, she can get all of the data from that page, with the exception of the Master Password, if she knows that.

Ben

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Categories>Logins on her phone, or on the new computer she has? (Must be her phone.....) And the Master Password? Hers or mine?
    Been hacking away at it for some time, without her here. Still getting my account info popping up when I try to sign in as her on her machine. Would she have a different Secret Key than mine? Sigh...... Still thinking of blowing the app away on her new Mac and starting from scratch.

• Categories>Logins on her phone, or on the new computer she has? (Must be her phone.....)

Her phone.

And the Master Password? Hers or mine?

Hers.

Been hacking away at it for some time, without her here. Still getting my account info popping up when I try to sign in as her on her machine.

Yep; if your account has ever been signed in it is going to pop up there, but you don't have to select it. Select the option to add a different account.

Would she have a different Secret Key than mine?

Different Secret Key, yes, which she can get from either 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts > Secret Key (tap then select reveal) or from her Login item for 1Password.com.

Sigh...... Still thinking of blowing the app away on her new Mac and starting from scratch.

Unfortunately I don't think that is going to help anything at this stage. Uninstalling the app isn't going to remove your account from her setup. Please let me know how you make out with the above.

Ben

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Finally had time to get to this. Here is the update.
    Devices:
    Craig - MBP + iPhone X
    Karen - MBP + iPhone X

Craig's MBP + iPhone are syncing fine. Signed in with my account on Karen's MBP today. It now is syncing fine with Craig's devices, but Karen's phone still is on her "account" for lack of a better term. Basically, she has most of the information from earlier times on there, but anything she adds or has added recently in Logins on her iPhone (about 10 logins) is not showing up on the other three devices, nor are changes on those three reflected on her phone.

• @ckummerow

Okay, thanks. Let's try this:

Have Karen log in as herself at https://my.1password.com using a web browser on her MBP. Create a new item in her Personal vault. Then open the 1Password app on both her Mac and her iPhone. Does the item she added to her Personal vault through the web app show up in the Personal vault in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS?

Ben

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Finally had time to get to this. Here is the update.
    Devices:
    Craig - MBP + iPhone X
    Karen - MBP + iPhone X

Craig's MBP + iPhone are syncing fine. Signed in with my account on Karen's MBP today. It now is syncing fine with Craig's devices, but Karen's phone still is on her "account" for lack of a better term. Basically, she has most of the information from earlier times on there, but anything she adds or has added recently in Logins on her iPhone (about 10 logins) is not showing up on the other three devices, nor are changes on those three reflected on her phone.

Ben, Karen here, not sure if I am typing in the right place. I do not have a personal vault. Private is Craig and Shared is Craig and me. Should I try it in the shared?

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Ben, Karen here. I do not have a personal vault. Private is Craig and Shared is Craig and me. Should I try it in the shared?

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Ben,
    So, I figured out Private on here (web app) now means me (Karen). The new login I put in went to my computer and iPhone. It did not go to Craig's devices, nor did it go to Shared on either of my devices.

• @ckummerow

Hi Karen. :)

Each person has their own Private vault which isn't shared with anyone else. You should be able to save things in your Private vault and have those be separate from whatever Craig saves in his Private vault. But that'll only work right if you are signed into your account (not his) on each of your devices.

The new login I put in went to my computer and iPhone. It did not go to Craig's devices, nor did it go to Shared on either of my devices.

That is exactly how it should work. :+1:

Ben

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

We are now, finally, OK. Thank you so much for your patience and guidance!

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.