What is the oldest Chrome for Windows version that supports the 1PW plugin?

Options

I have a 1PW subscription that I use for home and work. At work we use Chrome and because I work at an enterprise organization, versions are controlled by IT and usually take longer before they are rolled out.

Often I get the message that a new password could not get saved to 1PW and when I try to open the vault from the 1PW extension in a new tab (I have a 1PW.eu subscription) it says this browser is not supported.

This is the Chrome for Windows version I use:
Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Any idea why the 1PW extension might be unable to save the password or why it says the browser version is not supported?
Could it be this version is too old and for security reasons no longer supported?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1PWX 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1809 build 17763.864
Sync Type: 1PW subscription
Referrer: forum-search:browser version

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hey there @mark24332! It sounds like you may be running into to different things. To be honest, they could also be related, but it's too early for me to make that assumption.

Does the error message you're seeing when you try to save an item look something like "We are unable to reach the server..."? I've seen that happen if you need to re-authenticate your 1Password account if there's been a change made to an account (change Master Password, update email, enable/disable MFA, etc.). If that's the case, you should be able to open https://my.1password.eu and sign into your account to fix it.

That's where the "browser not supported" issue comes in. As far as I know, the 1Password web app should still work with Chrome version 78. 1Password X should most definitely work with Chrome version 78, so that makes me think something else is interfering. The "unsupported browser" message has occurred in the past when the Tag Assistant extension was also enabled. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have that extension or any other extensions aside from 1Password X enabled?

Let me know; I'm here to help!

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    Options

Do you mean Google Tag Assistant? Yes I have that and use it for work actually.

I can confirm I have not updated my master pw, nor change 2FA or anything else recently.

I did find out the following today. I noticed today that I did NOT get the unsupported message. Also was I able to register/save a new login via the browser extension (when I got the unsupported message I was unable to do so - or at least they seemed to correlate). My browser version was not updated in between. But I believe I did notice that the 1PWX extension was updated over the weekend (when I experienced the unsupported issue). Could it be that in case of running an ‘older’ 1PWX version (which can happen in case Enterprise policy does not allow to auto update extensions - not entirely sure though if my organization does not allow this) as a security measure the app/servers are ‘blocked’ and give the unsupported message?

To give a bit more context on the unsupported message:

• In these cases I was unable to save a new login (said something like could not reach server).
    • I was able to log into the 1PWX extension and see item. I just could not add new ones nor could I ‘open’/edit them in the 1PW.com environment. In fact, when I tried the latter it would give me this unsupported message.
    • At first I thought my organization had blocked traffic because of enterprise security reasons. Later I realized this is very unlikely because at times I do seem to be able to edit and add new items again for a certain time again. This made me think of the theory that perhaps my 1PWX version was outdated because now it works again.

Would be great if I could understand what is causing it. Was already freaking out at our network guys lol.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@mark24332 – Yep! That's the one. Could you try disabling Google Tag Assistant temporarily then seeing if you get the same "unsupported browser" message when you visit https://my.1password.com?

That actually makes more sense if the fact that you were unable to save a new Login item was due to the "unsupported browser" issue. I haven't seen 1Password X get involved in the past, but 1Password X (the extension) relies on the 1Password web app (https://my.1password.com). The browser version itself isn't outdated enough to get the "unsupported browser" message accurately, so I believe it's something else that's interfering. 1Password X should be updating automatically, and a new version was pushed recently, so that would all line up correctly.

Let me know what you find out when you disable Google Tag Assistant (if it does happen again), and we'll go from there.

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn, I am getting the unsupported message again. I have disabled Google Tag Assistant but without luck. I have verified I am running the latest version of 1PWX on Chrome (v1.17.0).

Chrome version is still the same:
    Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Any thoughts why this happens?

-Edit
    I have disabled all extensions and now it works again. Seems to be related to one of my extensions.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark24332 – Did you happen to clear your cache after disabling Google Tag Assistant? I wonder if that would make a difference. I'm also curious what other extensions you're using. If this does happen again and you have a few minutes to spare, would you mind disabling each extension one-by-one to see which one fixes the "Unsupported browser" error message?

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn, My problem has pivoted into the following. I can now no longer use the suggested pw function. Not even after disabling all extensions and clearing the cache.

This what it shows me but clicking the suggested password has no effect. Pretty frustrating! :)

The problem I have overcome by reinstalling the 1PW extension. Disabling all extensions had no effect. I am behind a corporate proxy with a company on Chrome versions so I am on the latest version (I use Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)).

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark24332 – My first guess is that your account wasn't syncing properly and needed to be re-authenticated before anything (in this case, a new password) could be saved. Reinstalling 1Password X should resolve that, and it sounds like that's what happened. The question is why the sync would have stopped working in the first place. I've seen it happen before if a user makes changes to their account – like update email, change Master Password, change Secret Key, enable/disable MFA, etc. We had quite a few improvements regarding this in version 1.18.0, though. Can you double check which version of 1Password X you're running?

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn I am running version 1.18.0 and have not updated my master pw, changed the secret key or changed mfa recently. I am having this quite regularly lately and also only with my work laptop. It seems somehow related to the corporate restrictions but cannot seem to put the finger on it. It is a real pity because I find 1pw very nice.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark24332 – Ah, interesting. I wonder what it is that's being blocked exactly. If you're up for it, your logs may have something to tell us, so I think it's worth looking into. If this does happen again, could you grab your 1Password X and browser logs after attempting to fill? You can find our guides for how to obtain each log here:

1Password X log
    Browser log

Please post the log here as long as you feel comfortable. If you'd prefer to move our conversation over to email, that's totally fine to. Just send an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this forum thread.

This discussion has been closed.