Separating / keeping Business from Personal/Family ?

Hi.
I'm a 1password nube. Been using another password manager for personal stuff. But our small company is considering 1Password Teams for everyone.

I don't want to use multiple password managers, that's how confusion sets in. So I want to migrate my stuff into 1Password as well.

So the questions are
1. how do I keep my personal stuff separate from Teams stuff?
2. Is it even possible?
3. What if I leave this company and want to keep my personal stuff?
4. Can I use 1Password Family (for my wife & kids & I) plan IN CONJUNCTION with Teams?

What's a good strategy here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ninja849

You may want to suggest to your company that they consider our 1Password Business offering, which includes a 1Password Families membership for each employee.

1. how do I keep my personal stuff separate from Teams stuff?

A separate membership would be the answer here. We wouldn't recommend storing personal data in a business owned account, for exactly the reason you bring up in your 3rd question.

1. Is it even possible?

Absolutely. All of our client apps are designed to handle multiple accounts.

1. What if I leave this company and want to keep my personal stuff?

If you opt for the 1Password Business solution the only link between your 1Password Families account and the business is the billing aspect. If you are removed from the business account your 1Password Families membership subscription would become your responsibility, but otherwise things are unaffected.

1. Can I use 1Password Family (for my wife & kids & I) plan IN CONJUNCTION with Teams?

Yes you can. I have a similar setup for myself. If you have further questions I'd be happy to help.

Ben

• ninja849
    ninja849
    Community Member

Hi @Ben. Thanks for the quick reply.

Business plan is not in the cards I think :)

1. So with Teams - the family plan would work just fine, right?
    2. How well does 1Password play with other password managers? If I keep my current for my personal use (LastPass), will there be much interference between them?

My workflow is fairly complicated.
    I'm a Developer so I spend my time between 2 computers ( work Macbook & personal Win10 desktop) in 4 browsers - IE (Edge), Safari, Firefox & Chrome, and iPhone, and need to be able to log into stuff between all those devices.

Linux Desktop/Browser support is not a priority, as I mostly just used servers via ssh.

• So with Teams - the family plan would work just fine, right?

Yep. :)

How well does 1Password play with other password managers? If I keep my current for my personal use (LastPass), will there be much interference between them?

We generally do not recommend having multiple password managers enabled, but this is usually in the context of the browser's built-in tools. As far as the specific combination of 1Password + LastPass I'm not aware of any pitfalls, but I would imagine some of the same problems as what we see with the browser's tools would exist. If you're going to run the two I'd suggest separate browser profiles for each.

I'm a Developer so I spend my time between 2 computers ( work Macbook & personal Win10 desktop) in 4 browsers - IE (Edge), Safari, Firefox & Chrome, and iPhone, and need to be able to log into stuff between all those devices.

I understand completely, being in a similar situation myself. I personally utilize all the same systems you mentioned.

Linux Desktop/Browser support is not a priority, as I mostly just used servers via ssh.

We do have Linux browser support, but don't yet have Linux desktop support. Hopefully that'll be something we can offer in the future. Also, if you're using SSH a lot, you may appreciate our command line tool:

1Password command-line tool: Getting started

Ben

This discussion has been closed.