To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't update master password

brettr01
brettr01
Community Member

My account was frozen for several months and I've recently activated it again. I have the mac app (6.8.8) and iOS (7.4.6). I can log into both of these. On my mac I enter the master password and on my phone I use face ID. I recently tried logging in online and it does not recognize my master password. If I try changing it using either of my apps it says the current password is incorrect. I don't understand how since I just used it to open the mac app. I do have a family subscription, but it's all getting a little confusing. Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't change master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brettr01! Welcome to the forum!

From what you wrote, it sounds like you chose a different Master Password for your online account than the one you have used so far to unlock the 1Password app (they can be different, if you choose). Can you please make sure you are using the correct Master Password, as you have written it down in your Emergency Kit document?

• brettr01
    brettr01
    Community Member

Unfortunately I never printed out the Account Key page so I don't have the Master Password. It's just something I've always known. It's my understanding that you never store the MP so there's no way for me to recover it, right? I know the password for sure for the mac app. When i look at the password being used on my iOS app (looking in password settings in my phone) it looks like I'm using the same password as the mac app. So as you've mentioned I must have used a different password online. I'd like to feel I have control over all my accounts no matter where they reside so I'd like to have them all sharing the same MP. How do you suggest I accomplish this? Thanks

• You are correct that we do not ever see or store the Master Password, and as such there isn't anything we can do to provide it or reset it for you. If there is another organizer on your 1Password Families membership they may be able to help, though:

Recover accounts for family or team members

As another thought... if you're able to unlock 1Password for Mac, and have added your account there, there may be a Login item for 1Password.com that would have the correct password on it. Have you looked in your Login items for a 1Password.com item?

1Password Version: 6.8.8

Your membership includes access to the latest versions of 1Password. 1Password 7 for Mac is currently the latest. Is there a reason you're still working with v6? There are some important changes that have been implemented in v7 that I'd like to see you get the benefit of. As I say it is included with your membership. :)

I'd like to feel I have control over all my accounts no matter where they reside so I'd like to have them all sharing the same MP. How do you suggest I accomplish this? Thanks

If you're able to find the correct Master Password then v7 has an option: Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account. First, switch from the All Vaults view to the Personal vault within your account to enable the option. This can be done through the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password's main window (when unlocked). Then select the migration tool. On iOS the tool is under Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.