Clicking link in 1Password doesn't open the browser

Options
martinewski
martinewski
Community Member

Using 1Password 7.0.1. Since 1Password 7.0, clicking a link in a login item opens the browser on the first time. After that, clicking the links doesn't open the browser anymore. The only way to open the link is copying it and pasting the url in Safari.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Same here...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Solved by re-install 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Knabberbox: Thanks for letting us know that helped in your case! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@martinewski: Do you have the same issue after restarting you Mac? Definitely give that a try and let me know.

• martinewski
    martinewski
    Community Member
    Options

@brently the issue remains after restarting the Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@martinewski: Hmm. Which versions of Safari and the 1Password extension are you using? Is there an example URL you can give me?

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Five days ago, I installed 1Password 7.0.4 under macOS 10.12.6. Chrome (whatever the latest version is at the time) is my default browser. Since installing 1Password 7, I've observed that when I click on a link in 1Password, sometimes it brings the browser to the foreground and opens a new tab for the URL. Sometimes, especially if I've already opened one or more 1PWD 7 links in Chrome, clicking on a link in 1Password 7 brings the browser to the foreground, but does not open the URL. When this happened last night, I quite Chrome, then clicked on the link in 1Password 7, and Chrome launched and the URL opened.

I'm guessing this is the same behavior described above, only with Chrome. I'm also guessing that this behavior occurs with the macOS default browser, no matter whether that's Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Just updated to 1Password 7.0.5. The issue still occurs. To reproduce: launch 1Password 7 and Chrome. Click on a link in 1PWD 7; it opens the URL in Chrome. Close the page in Chrome but don't quit Chrome. Repeat until clicking on a link in 1PWD 7 brings Chrome to the foreground, but does not open the URL in Chrome. When this occurs, the solution is to quit and relaunch Chrome. (Am currently running Chrome 67.0.3396.99, macOS 10.12.6.)

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

The issue still occurs after manually updating to 7.0.7. It also occurred in 7.0.6.

Description of issue: If I click on a URL in 1Password when the browser is running, often times the browser is brought to the foreground, but does not load the URL. If I then quit the browser, then click on a link in 1Password, the browser launches and proceeds to load the URL.

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. I'm not able to reproduce this issue, but I'm running macOS 10.13.5. I doubt that is the difference, as the OP mentioned they were running macOS 10.13.4. We'll have to keep playing with this and see if we can find a way to reproduce the issue. Thanks for the update. We'll be in touch if we need further information.

Ben

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben.

Two observations:

1) The problem does not occur every time.

2) For it to occur, Chrome (in my case) needs to be running, but with no browser windows open. However, if a browser window is open, or if Chrome is not running, then things seem to work correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billj: Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry for the trouble there. This is a known issue. Hopefully we'll be able to find a workaround in the future, but for now having a browser window open (or having the browser completely closed) will allow 1Password to open URLs there.

ref: apple-1113

• LJM
    LJM
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem with Safari (13.0.5). When I click on the website link in 1Password (version 7.3.2) it will not open Safari. I have to copy and paste the link then add the user name and password myself.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LJM:

If you open Safari Preferences > Extensions tab, do you see the 1Password extension enabled there? It should look like this:

This discussion has been closed.