1Password on macOS is not updating properly, with the error "unable to close" 1Password

JudySteveR
JudySteveR
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

I'm running 1Password on my MacBookPro (2019 version) running macOS Catalina (10.15.3). About 3-4 weeks ago 1Password stopped updating properly via the macOS AppStore app, which told me there was a new version I should install, but when I clicked to update it, it would spend 15 seconds and get around the clock face to almost 12:00, stall for 15-30 seconds, and then say "Unable to close" 1Password, try again later. I tried repeatedly with no success, then I quit 1Password before trying to update it, and then I quit 1Password and waited a few minutes, none of which appeared to make a difference. Finally I found online that quitting 1Password with control+option+command+Q before updating it works, which has worked for me. (By the way, it appears that quitting 1Password with command+Q does not stop the 1Password Extension Helper.) This work-around worked for me last week. This week there's another 1Password update, for which I had to go through the same work-around.

Which leads to the obvious point: the reason we have updaters is so that users don't have to learn all these grungy details. When will the 1Password app/updater be fixed so this just works?

Thanks much.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password on macOS is not updating properly, saying "unable to close"

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@JudySteveR

The next time you experience this issue, also quit Safari. Yeah, I know, and I am sorry to throw in another step in the work-around mix. :( The Safari app extension is part of the main 1Password application. It's entirely possible that is holding up the update.

The development team is working on the issues. I can't say exactly when an update will happen. We are acutely aware of the issue and it causing headaches for our users.

• aquirt
    aquirt
    Community Member

Thanks @JudySteveR for the super-quit workaround. I tried it and got a pop-up telling me to quit Safari. Did that and the update completed.

Quitting Safari without the super-quit of 1PW did not help.

Hoping that this annoying bug gets squashed soon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience with us @aquirt! We also hope to get this bug squashed as soon as possible :)

• aquirt
    aquirt
    Community Member

A little more detail that may help. In my failing attempts to do the update I quit 1PW normally. Then tried the update through the App Store. Watched the progress indicator advance to about 98% where it paused. Throughout this process the taskbar showed 1PW not running (no dot). Then after a significant pause (15-30 seconds) the "running" dot appeared for 1PW in the taskbar and at the same moment a message popped up saying I must quit 1PW. Clicked Continue. Then after about 15 seconds got a message that the update had failed. But when I used the super-quit, although there was a similar pause at 98% the "running" dot did not appear and the only message was to quit Safari. The update then completed normally.

• Thanks @aquirt. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.