Can my backup software accidentally save 1P data while it's unlocked?

Options
brebre
brebre
Community Member

Hello, 1Password team!

I have a backup application on my computer that backs up my full disk. I noticed when loading a Document in 1Password that it gives the following disclaimer: "Viewing this document will decrypt it until the next time you lock 1Password"

This presented a couple questions that I'm curious about:

1 - If I view a document and my backup software runs before I lock 1Password, will the previously-encrypted file now be permanently archived outside of 1Password?

2 - Are there other types of data that work similarly --- i.e., they become unencrypted (and potentially could get swept up by my backup software) until I re-lock 1Password?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Backblaze

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @brebre

Yes, that is possible, though we do take some steps to indicate to backup systems that these files should not be backed up.

1. We mark them as "no index."
    2. We set the extended attribute "CSBackupSetItemExcluded" on them, which backup software should honor and not back them up.

Ben

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you! Could this happen with other entry types, or just Documents?

• Ben
    Options

Sorry; I saw that question and was so focused on the first that I completely forgot to answer it. :blush: Documents are the only type of item that gets saved to disk in an unencrypted file, so this situation would be unique to them.

Ben

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Thank you! :)

• On behalf of Ben, your welcome.

This discussion has been closed.