7.4.750 Beta Issue: not opening site correctly

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Since updating to the new Beta 7.4.750 I find I am unable to open any of my sites directly. When I invoke 1P from my desk top, (I use CTR-Alt '), 1P opens only my home page and I have to click on the 1P icon and re-select the site I want to go to. However, if I am already on my Home Page and I invoke one of my sites using the 1P mini icon, it works perfectly. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 7.4.750 Beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for reporting this.

Which browser are you using? Was the browser running at the time or does it matter if the browser was closed or running?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike. sorry! I should have thought to include browser info. I am using Firefox 73.01 64 bit. When I am on my desktop without Firefox running and I hit CTRL-Alt ' to bring up 1P mini and select a log-in, IP simply opens Firefox and stops on my Home Page. I then have to select 1P mini, choose the log-in again and 1P does it's thing. Before this latest BETA invoking 1P mini from my desktop would bring up my Home page and immediately insert the URL and complete the log in procedures or, sometime, stop at the log in page and I would have to click 1P mini again to move onwards. Hope this helps.

• Hi @Andrew42,

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce it. Does it happen with any sites?

How long did you wait? It now waits for the 1Password extension to connect to 1Password before it opens the website, so it may be very slightly longer than usual if Firefox isn't running.

Can you try this for me:

Scenario 1

1. Open Firefox first, don't do anything else.
    2. Click the desktop to defocus Firefox and then bring up 1Password mini with your shortcut, click the site you want to open, can you tell me what happens?

Scenario 2

1. Close Firefox
    2. Bring up 1Password mini, click the site you want to open but wait about 5s (our max timeout), anything happen?
    3. If it fails, bring up 1Password mini instead of clicking 1Password mini on Firefox, use the shortcut again.

Also, can you tell me if you have 1Password set to open sites in new tab, current tab, or new windows?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, it seems to happen with every site I try to go to. I have attached two screen shots. Agilebits Forum 1 shows what happens when I select the Forum in 1P mini without Firefox running. Agilebits Forum 2 shows what happens if I do exactly the same thing from my Home page.

Please note: the screen shots seem to be showing in the wrong sequence.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

@Andrew42,

I'm going to ask you a series of numbered questions, please answer them as best as you can. We're trying to narrow down where it is not working, clicking 1Password icon and using shortcut are two separate events using the same 1Password mini window. Try to follow our steps in order to rule it out.

1. Is 1Password set to open Logins in new tab, current tab, or new windows? To find out, open 1Password mini, click the gear button on bottom left and expand Open Logins In.
    2. If it is current or new tab, does it matter if you switch to new window or the other option?
    3. Is Firefox set to open maximized all the time? If yes, does changing that option change anything?
    4. Open Firefox but do not click anything. Wait about 5 seconds and then use Control + Alt + ' to bring up 1Password mini and then open the site, does it work?
  • Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike to answer your questions in order:
    1. My IP mini is set to Current Tab
    2. Setting 1P mini to either New Tab or New Window makes no change in the result. Invoking a log-in from the desktop 1P mini opens my Home Page and stops there; however long I wait.
    3. I have Firefox maximised on opening. I believe this is a setting whereby Firefox remembers whether it was last maximised or other. I changed it to about ¼ screen size. It made no difference. I do not know how to open Firefox minimsed; help please. I minimsed Firefox open at my Home page, then shut it down but it opened maximised, so remembering the previous state seems not to work when minimised, ony when reduced to less than max. When I log on, the Firefox icon is pinned to my task bar, but is not running.
    4. If I have Firefox open to my Home page or on another web site I can either click the 1P mini icon or hit Ctrl-Alt ' and the log in will happen as expected.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

To make the last sentence of 3 a bit clearer I should have written, "When I boot my PC........" instead of "When I log on...."

• @Andrew42, thanks!

As for 3, that's okay, that's not likely the cause. I've tested various states here as well and can't reproduce it.

Do you have a different browser like Chrome, Brave, or the new Edge installed? I was wondering if it is limited to Firefox. I tested all browsers and they're okay but Firefox has known to be problematic when it is not running for certain tasks.

Just in case, can you email us your diagnostics report in case there are some internal errors. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

No Mike, I only have Firefox.

I have generated the diagnostic report and it will ne mailed within the next few minutes so check at 15 minutes past the hour: it should be there.

• @Andrew42,

Would you be willing to temporary test a different browser? It helps if we know it is limited to Firefox only.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Yes. Do you have a preference?

• @Andrew42, it is up to you. Chrome works or Brave if you dislike Google's policies.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, I have installed Brave, (of which I had never heard!! - I'm not that clued-up). I installed the 1P extension, configured my Home page and made it my default browser.
    That done, I have managed to open this forum page and another forum I use without a problem. Not instant but not slow either. It seems to think about it. I will continue to test but at the moment it would seem there is either a problem within Firefox or a problem with the Firefox setup on my PC.
    Let me know if there is more I can do to help, I'm a big 1P fan - but stand alone version.

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks, that means it is specific to Firefox.

Could you try with a separate new Firefox profile that's clean of any configuration to see if it happens there, you'd be able to change back to your existing profile if you want. Here's how it works: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles?s=profile&r=1&e=un&as=s

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Yes, but it’s gin time here so it will be later or tomorrow for the result!

• Have a great evening! We'll be happy with any time you can spare with us.

Thank you again!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike this is getting more confusing by the minute. I created a new profile in Firefox. I made Firefox the default browser and it behaved exactly the same way as with my original profile. So I switched my default browser back to Brave and guess what?? Under Brave it is now behaving exactly the same as under Firefox so that I have to invoke 1P mini twice to log into a site from my desktop. I tried clearing my internet cache but that has made no difference. It now seems to me that the problem may lie within my system but this is way beyond my abilities.

• @Andrew42, that's very odd. There's no reason for it to change behaviors like that unless there's an external factor involved like an antivirus solution maybe?

Try rebooting into safe mode with networking to see if makes any changes:, here's how: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, I tried with Malwarebytes and ESET totally disabled: no difference.

I then booted my PC in Safe Mode with Brave as my default browser and everything worked perfectly.

Just to confirm, I changed my default browser back to Firefox and rebooted in Safe Mode. It worked also, not as quickly, but it worked.

I switched back and forth between browsers in Safe Mode and both worked. Brave was always faster and seemed not to go through the step of first invoking my Home Page and then the target URL. Firefox failed on one occasion, but only that one time.

I have no idea how to go about isolating the culprit. Can you point me in the direction of an article that might explain how to do it? I have not been able to find one on the web.

• @andrew42,

I'm not sure I'd say both anti-malware solutions can be totally disabled. We have seen cases where disabling the anti-malware solutions does nothing to change things but uninstalling them do change the outcome. I'm not saying you should do that yet because there could be something else instead.

What you could do is turn off all programs from auto-starting on every reboot and see if that fixes the issue on the next reboot. If yes, re-enable a few set of programs at a time, reboot, and retest. This takes a lot of time but I'm not sure what else there is. Here's Microsoft suggestions on how to change the startup list: https://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+10+disable+autostart

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, sending you my last update I did a clean reboot of my PC with all services except Microsoft services disabled and all Start up processes disabled. It made no difference. I will do it again just in case I missed something.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Just did it again but this time on boot up I had to enter my Windows password instead of PIN and also I had no internet connection so I couldn't try logging onto a site even if I wanted to. One thing I did notice was I could not disable ESET command line interface: all others in Start were successfully disabled. So I simply stopped ESET after boot up.
    I still had/have the problem.

• @Andrew42

Did you try looking at Task Manager to see what else is running after logging in?

I'm not sure what else it could be on your computer.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, I confess to being baffled.

I think the problem is with ESET, but I cannot be sure. I uninstalled CCleaner, ESET, Malwarebytes and a piece of add-on software from Malwarebytes called FieAssassin which I installed the other day to try and get rid of a folder which I couldn't delete, (It didn't work).
    That done 1P worked as it should. I added back CCleaner and 1P continued working properly. I added back ESET Internet Security and 1P stopped working again and reverted to the problem where it only opens my home page the first time and I have to re-select the log-in to get where I am trying to go. However, later without my doing anything, it started to work properly. Then I rebooted and it stopped working. Then it started working again. It goes like this in fits and starts. Once it works it seems to continue working unless/ until I reboot.

Two things I have noticed.
    1. If from my desktop I start 1P mini using ATR-Alt ' and select say, this forum, my screen changes to my Home Page, then flickers and either repeats the Home Page (failure) or goes to the selected URL and logs-in, (success).
    2. Frequently, after failure, if I try the same thing again, it works the second time around and then works from then on.

I have not yet reinstalled Malwarebytes and won't at this stage. I do not intend to reinstall FileAssassin.

One good thing coming out of this has been your suggestion I try Brave. I like it a lot. It seems to be much quicker than Firefox. I have switched to it as my default browser and will continue to give it a longer test.

Finally, I have run all these tests using both Firefox and Brave as my default browser and I get the same results from each.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

@Andrew42,

I'm just as baffled as you are but not surprised at what some security programs would do. You may want to review the settings inside ESET to see if there's anything they do about on-demand scanning or checking URLs. All we do is send a system call to open a URL and then wait for the 1Password extension to talk back to the 1Password process via Native Messaging. It is possible there's something being delayed or blocked by ESET for security scanning.

You could also try whitelisting both 1Password and Firefox completely within ESET, see if it works normally while ESET is enabled. If yes, that means there's some setting in there you may need to adjust before you remove them from the whitelist. If you find such a setting, apply it to Brave as well.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, I have got it to work; sort of. I will tinkle a few settings within ESET etc. over the weekend and if I find the total cure I'll let you know. In the meantime you have much more important things to worry about.

One final thought: I never had this problem before the latest Beta was installed on my system. Coincidence? I'm no expert with PCs so I do not know if this statement from the release notes is relevant: "Upgraded to the latest Go and Fill mechanism that uses the 1Password browser extension to open websites and to fill instead of the onepasswordfill:// method. {OPW-1898}".

• @Andrew42,

Yes, we did make a change for the better, 1Password no longer pads ?onepasswordfill:// at the end of your URLs when opening the site (the 1Password extension removes it when it sees it). This changes how we open the website by waiting for the browser to open first (we do the same call to open it prior to beta) and then let the extension tell us we're ready and we tell it how to open.

The reason you won't see the site open right away is because 1Password extension has to be alive first.

If you press "shift" when you click the Login, it should open the site without waiting.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, an update. I have installed each Beta update as they came out, (now on 7.4.754). I have changed nothing else on my system at all since my past posting on March 6. I have not reinstalled Malwarebytes. 1P is working, for the most part, faultlessly.

• Glad to hear it's working and hope it holds, @Andrew42. After all, they canceled hockey, so we deserve a win, right? :wink:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

You are so right, @bundtkate. Here my local team actually squeaked into the play-offs when the season was cancelled. Now we have all meetings of 50+ people banned, all ski resorts shut down and a run on loo paper of all things. I feel for all independent workers in restaurants, hotels, travel etc. It is going to be very tough for weeks to come.

This discussion has been closed.