Empty Dropbox vault

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I edit a vault name? Using Windows..

Comments

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

I am setting up a new computer with a standalone version of 1password. I choose an existing vault on dropbox. It is asking me for a name. I have no idea where to find the name of the vault in the old system so i just made one up but then i linked it to dropbox, where the file resides. In dropbox, I just linked it to the keychain file. When it opened, none of the logins are there. How do I fix this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtlou!

I choose an existing vault on dropbox. It is asking me for a name.

Can you please post a screenshot of this?

i linked it to dropbox, where the file resides. In dropbox, I just linked it to the keychain file.

I am not sure I follow this part. Can you let us know what you mean by this? Specifically what you mean when you said that "you linked it to Dropbox, and then you linked it to the keychain file". What does "it" stand for?

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to import her logins from the old version but I don't see how to keep it synced with her other devices?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtlou:

You will have to configure Dropbox sync on all your devices. You can find the instructions to do it here.

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is there is no sync in the settings. I have general, security, watchtower, vaults, browser, backups, updates and advanced. I don’t see it under any of these

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtlou:

Did you perhaps add a 1Password subscription account to the 1Password apps on these devices (1Password Preferences > Accounts tab)? That would explain why you are not seeing the Sync tab, since you get automatic sync already through a 1Password account.

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

I had to go out of town for a few weeks. I can't seem to see how to make this work with dropbox. I followed the initial instructions with no success. I came back and tried by importing it from dropdox, which did work. However, there is no where for me to sync it with dropbox. If I go to where you suggest adding a dropbox account, I can't get a security code to come up on one of the older devices that are up and syncing with dropbox.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtlou:

However, there is no where for me to sync it with dropbox.

If you open 1Password Preferences, do you see a Sync tab there?

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is I don't have preference option anywhere in this app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtlou:

I see that you are using the Windows version, thank you for posting the screenshot. Since you posted in the Mac section, I gave you the Mac instructions to open the Preferences, so it's normal that they didn't work for you. I have moved the conversation to the Windows section of the forum so there is no more confusion about this.

In your screenshot, please click on the Settings menu entry to access the settings in 1Password for Windows.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020
    Options

@mtlou

I am setting up a new computer with a standalone version of 1Password. I choose an existing vault on Dropbox. It is asking me for a name. I have no idea where to find the name of the vault in the old system so i just made one up but then i linked it to Dropbox, where the file resides. In Dropbox, I just linked it to the keychain file. When it opened, none of the logins are there. How do I fix this?

When you decided to made one up, you probably created a new 1Password database in your Dropbox and that is why none of your logins are there. What you should had done is select an existing 1Password database in your Dropbox. Look for a directory named [blah blah blah].agilekeychain or [blah blah blah].opvault and then open that via 1Password > Open vault on this PC...

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    Options

this is what I did - Password database in your Dropbox. Look for a directory named [blah blah blah].agilekeychain or [blah blah blah].opvault and then open that via 1Password > Open vault on this PC... That is how i got the logins to show up. Since I did that, is it set to sync automatically? How do I find this thread on the Windows group?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @mtlou,

Since I did that, is it set to sync automatically?

Yes, it will sync automatically with any folders you open. I'll explain how you can be sure.

Next time, what you can do is open 1Password, expand the vault menu by clicking the vaults on top left and right-click the vault to see where it is located. You'd also see if it says Disable sync, this means it is currently syncing.

Here's a screenshot:

You can select Reveal in Explorer to see the folder in Windows Explorer. You can also hover that to see it in tooltip:

We do appreciate that this is not intuitive at all, we plan to redesign this in a future update.

How do I find this thread on the Windows group?

To find your discussions, you can click on your name on the top and then click Discussions on the left sidebar to see all of your discussions at once.

You can also enable email or forum notifications to get pinged on any new activity in your threads.

This discussion has been closed.