Request for new categories ("device/equipment", "encryption/decryption keys", "BIOS")

Options
Yoms
Yoms
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

Hi,

I have troubles finding the correct categories to use in order to store some passwords.

For instance:

• Admin pwd of network equipments such as printers, scanners, etc. => request for a "device/equipment" category

• I encrypted my Time Machine backup and I enabled FileVault on macOS => request for a "encryption/decryption keys" category

• BIOS pwd => request for a "computer/BIOS" category or same as "device/equipment" category?

What do you think? It doesn't seem overly complicated as these would not be new 1Password functionalities per se.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Yoms!

We will probably not add any more built in categories to the app, because no matter how many we add, there will always be some more missing, and which some users would like to have. Instead, we are currently beta testing custom categories in our 1Password Business accounts. Depending on how that test goes, we might decide to extend the feature to other account types ;)

To give you some suggestions about the specific categories you mentioned:

Admin pwd of network equipment such as printers, scanners, etc. => request for a "device/equipment" category

This is still a Login item in a way (or just a Password item, in case you login to this device without a username), so I recommend using those same categories. If you want to make it clear that this is a network device, I recommend adding a tag to these items.

I encrypted my Time Machine backup and I enabled FileVault on macOS => request for a "encryption/decryption keys" category

This would also fit under the Password category (at least, this is how I store my FileVault recovery key).

BIOS pwd => new category or same as "device/equipment" category

This also sounds like a good candidate for a Password item, since it has no username.

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again.

I always had the understanding that the "Password" category was more a temporary thing that was filled automatically by 1Password to save generated pwd before they are actually converted to an identity, no?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yoms:

That is one of the uses of the Password category, but it's not the only one: you can use for anything else you wish, if it works for you. You can store there any item that has no username, such as alarm codes, trolley codes, encryption keys etc.

• dfz1password
    dfz1password
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to ask for a hardware equipment category to store model and serial numbers, purchase date, etc. This is handy for inventory and theft recovery. I can also store a copy of the receipt for warranty claims. Currently I use the Software License category to store this stuff, since it's pretty close to having all the sections and titles needed. If you're not going to add more categories, would you consider making it more inclusive and easier to use by relabeling Software License for dual use and add some custom section labels for hardware (e.g. serial number instead of license number, merchant instead of publisher)? I can edit these manually, I know, but just looking for more flexibility if possible.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @dfz1password,

While we don't like to say never around here, as my colleague ag_ana said, it's unlikely that we will be making many changes to the built in categories at this time, especially if the custom categories testing goes well. We will keep your request in mind, though. :)

• dfz1password
    dfz1password
    Community Member
    Options

Will custom categories be available for the regular retail individual and family users also? I thought I saw it was for your upper level business customers.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@dfz1password It's currently in beta testing for our Business accounts, but if all goes well, features like these normally make their way down to individual and family accounts too. Many of the features available to account holders these days originated as a business feature as we like to bring as many of them to all account types as is practical or would be useful for the regular user. No promises, of course, but I could certainly see this being one of those features. :)

• jamescranston
    jamescranston
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add a +1 for a "device" category: I'd like to store serial numbers, etc. for things like my iPhone, Mac, etc.

I think this would be a great feature add, since it doesn't really fit as a "document", "login" or "secure note" category.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback as well @jamescranston :+1:

This discussion has been closed.