Suggestion: Default username for new Logins

acarling
acarling
Community Member

Every time I create a new login in 1Password I’m annoyed by the fact that I have to manually specify my email in the 1P app - typically just after I entered it in a signup form before triggering the 1P extension to generate a password.

It would greatly improve my life if 1Password could either pickup the username from the signup form from which I triggered the extension, or enable me to configure a standard username to use for new logins. Even autocompleting from known usernames would be a great step, since now I have to type the whole email address manually each time.

Best regards,
Anders

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @acarling! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. This is something that we have heard a few times, so I appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts about this as well :)

• sss
    sss
    Community Member

I came here to post this same request.

The weird thing is one of the previous versions DID have this feature and it was super helpful! Why did it get taken away?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sss:

Than you for sharing your feedback with us as well! I don't remember this feature being available previously, but if you are right and this was indeed present in the past, I would say it was removed because it didn't work as well as we hoped.

• sss
    sss
    Community Member

Thanks, Ana.

I work in web dev and I can certainly appreciate I don’t have all the information involved in the decision. :)

It is very weird though from a user POV. 1Password is one of the only iOS apps I use that doesn’t use the OS built-in functionality to suggest common email addresses for an email address field. Not a single new entry goes by without this making me pause and wonder why this has (seemingly) been intentionally disabled, as A) it’s a super common use of the app, usually the first step when creating a saved login B) it’s built in to iOS and C) it already existed in 1Password.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2020

Hi @sss

It sounds like you may be thinking of this feature:

1Password now offers you suggestions for your email address, address, and phone number when creating and editing items.

(from v7.2.1)

If so, that did indeed break somewhere along the way. I'll follow up with our development team and see if there is any update on that.

Ben

• sss
    sss
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, yes that’s the one. :)

It was an awesome addition and I’ve missed it dearly ever since it went away, especially on my iPhone.

• Thanks @sss. I've filed a bug with our development team, as it sounds from discussions like we're still expecting that to work (but agree it doesn't).

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4638

• foxmailhe
    foxmailhe
    Community Member

It was an awesome

• :+1:

Ben

• Hi folks,

I just updated to iOS 13.4 and this started working for me again. Can you please check and see if the iOS update fixes it for you as well?

Ben

• marcelogrsp
    marcelogrsp
    Community Member

I would like to have this feature on Windows app as well =)

• Thanks for the suggestion, @marcelogrsp. This is actually a feature of iOS that we're inheriting. Windows doesn't have any such feature. that isn't to say it is impossible, but we'd have to build it entirely ourselves. Maybe something we can consider for the future. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.