Sync across Windows and Ios

Hi,
I am trying to sync my passwords across an ipad, iphone, laptop (Windows) and PC (windows).

Dropbox only lets you sync up to 3 devices before you have to pay.
I do not want to pay for a 1password subscription

So what are my options?

Can I sync using icloud drive / Files from Apple? I have icloud drive set up on both my PC and laptop. Files basically is the Apple equivalent of Dropbox but from my googling it does not appear to be set up to work that way with 1password.

Can someone please let me know how I can sync across all these devices without having to pay more for the privilege of using an app I have already paid for.

Many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• With the caveat that I can't shake the feeling that this will change in the long run, @61016216, you should theoretically be able to use Dropbox specifically with 1Password on all of these devices even though there are four of them. Last I checked, Dropbox did not count devices utilizing Dropbox only through their API against your limit. So, you would need to have Dropbox installed on both PCs, but on the iPhone and iPad skip installing the Dropbox app. Dropbox should view this as only two devices.

Now, I'd really like to give you more specific steps to get this setup, but I want to be conscious of the fact that futzing with sync can be a bit of a quagmire. So in order to ensure I'm actually giving you good steps that are going to protect you data on each device, could you tell me a bit more about your setup on each? Which are already authorized with Dropbox? Have you configured sync at all on the iOS devices? Are these devices properly synced up right now? The PCs should be simple enough and are probably already set up for you, but we made need to tweak some stuff about how your iOS devices are syncing with Dropbox for this to work, so I want to make sure I understand our starting point. Thanks! :chuffed:

Community Member

@bundtkate - thank you for your response!

I am currently synced up with Dropbox on both iOS devices, and on one windows pc.

After reading your message, I have just signed out of Dropbox on my iPad and signed in on my laptop and so now I have 3 devices synced up with Dropbox proper. And it looks like 1Password on my iPad is still syncing with Dropbox despite me being signed out on the Dropbox app. So it could be that you have already solved my issue.... I will see how things go with syncing across all devices in the next day or so but I am hopeful this should do the trick.

Thanks you once again for your reply! I am hoping that 1Password will start working with Apple Files before Dropbox stops working via API....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@61016216:

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

Community Member

My only remaining question is whether you are working on an Apple files syncing solution (like Dropbox)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@61016216:

We have no plans to support additional sync methods at the moment. We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is therefore the best method available to sync your data.

Because of this, we believe we already have the best sync option in 1Password.com, and therefore it's unlikely that we will put development effort into supporting additional methods.

Community Member

Ok. Thanks for the quick response! I guess the only downside of your offered service is that it requires a subscription payment to use it, unlike the alternatives...

• We're certainly not alone in offering our services as a subscription, @61016216. Many of our competitors do the same. Regardless, we believe it's the best option for the sort of service that requires the level of ongoing maintenance that 1Password does, particularly given the importance of keeping your security software updated. With licenses, we have to ask for paid upgrades every now and again to keep the service running and often found ourselves chasing features to entice folks to upgrade rather than building the 1Password that would do the best possible job of keeping your most important data safe. By switching to a small monthly subscription, we can keep the lights on, ensure y'all are able to use the latest 1Password no matter the version, and focus on the features the best contribute to it getting the job done. It ain't gonna be for everyone, which is why we still offer licenses, but we certainly hope folks see the value in making that switch. :chuffed:

Community Member

Yep - I certainly don’t hold it against you, you are of course entitled to make a buck any way you see fit :)

But personally I prefer to pay a single licence fee and then once paid I don’t want to pay anymore until the next major release (Or two) comes out. But that’s just me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@61016216:

That is certainly understandable :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.