Bug? Cannot get identity fields to become multiline

Hi there,

I am usually on my mac but noticed today while using Windows and creating a new Identity, that I:
cannot make a field contain a multiline text

What I usually use an Identity for is to store information about an ssh key.
So in each identity I add these fields:

• private key (multiline)
  • publicy key (one line)
  • passphrase (one line)
  • fingerprint (one line)
  • some meta info about my usage (notes)

On my mac I can copy/paste multiline text from a shell window just fine.
On Windows only the first line until the EOF is pasted; "------BEGIN OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY------".

I've tried adding < enter>, <shift+enter> and such to force the field in 1Password to become multiline, but to no avail.

(I happened to have my mac standing next to me, so I finished the job there, but the issue still remains.)

Kindly change the Windows version to allow multiline fields as well to make 1Password an even better product!

(I've noticed that my Windows and Mac went out of sync after an edit. Windows seems to get a lot more/faster synchronization with 1Password than my mac. This caused me to notice that you have a 'Conflicts' section solution for when versions are getting out of sync. Nice to see a safety feature like that exists, I did not know that. I have also noticed that I can force a sync by locking and unlocking the Mac version. I did not know that; I was searching for the 'sync' button. Why isn't that there?)

Kind regards,
WVM

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: family

Comments

• wimvmourik
    wimvmourik
    Community Member

Extra information; I can copy and paste the private key from a shell to notepad just fine; shows as multiline text. So we cannot blame the shell program.
    Still; cannot copy and paste the multine text from notepad to a 1Password Identity field in Windows.

• Hi @wimvmourik,

Thanks for writing in.

There may be some confusion, 1Password does not support multi-line text fields except for known template fields like the license key in Software License items. 1Password for macOS is compressing your multi-line strings into one line, which 1Password for Windows is not yet capable of doing.

If you remove the "newlines" characters to convert your data into one-line, you'll notice it'll be entered in the Windows version like so:

We'll consider it in a future update but it does mean the input data is modified, which is something we're not a fan of. We may have to consider removing it from the macOS version and look into adding a multi-line text field as a custom field type in a future update.

I have also noticed that I can force a sync by locking and unlocking the Mac version. I did not know that; I was searching for the 'sync' button. Why isn't that there?)

We built 1Password to be effortless, avoid ever needing that button. Make a change, it should show up everywhere at once.

The problem is, if you force the sync while we're queuing for a reason, it can force a sync conflict and then we have to do a new sync to resolve the conflict, so 2-3 sync calls instead of one. Sync are not supposed to be manual within 1Password.

• _wojtek
    _wojtek
    Community Member

+1 for having multi-line fields... for the same issue (ssh keys - or make dedicated view where one could add keys directly)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps that's something we can add in the future. :)

• hirnschmalz
    hirnschmalz
    Community Member

Any updates on this? I would also need multiline textfields

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hirnschmalz:

We don't have anything new to share about this yet, sorry!

This discussion has been closed.