Unable to update 1P on Win 10 Enterprise

Options

Hi, The 1P app is prompting me for an update but when I try to update it says .NET 4.7.2 or later is required. The problem is that when I try to update to either 4.7.2 OR 4.8 I get an error saying that version is not supported by the operating system.

So it is looking like 1P is effectively no longer supported on W10E. Is this correct - or is there something else going on here?

This is a work computer so ultimately managed by my IT folks who are paranoid about users installing stuff - could "unsupported" really mean "you as a menial end point user are not allowed to install .NET updates"?

Thanks,

Ken

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Enterprise (10240)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I suspect you're correct, @broken42, and IT is managing .NET updates for y'all. Traditionally, these come along with Windows updates so you'd have them as a matter of course on Windows 10, but a lot of enterprises, particularly the bigger ones, will have folks on a slower release cycle for the sake of stability. I've worked with folks on Win10E using the latest just fine so that .NET version is not inherently unavailable. That said, it's a bit odd for them to keep you that far behind on updates. I'm definitely guessing a bit at the timing here, but I want to say .NET 4.7.2 has been out for over a year at this point. You might ask IT if/when they plan to push .NET updates out to their users and potentially ask for an exception at least for 4.7.2. At this point, Microsoft is actually working on 5.0, I believe, so I'd have to think they'll likely be forced to install that update sooner than later.

If updating isn't a possibility either now or in the near future, you might try 1Password X. It doesn't depend on .NET and while it lives exclusively in your browser, it's got just about everything the desktop app does and can even fill outside your browser with drag and drop. You can check it out here, if you'd like:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

And, of course, if you have any questions I'm happy to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.