Options to the memorable password generator, Caps, #, special char.?

TitanYYC
TitanYYC
Community Member

Hi. I have been looking for the feature of having Caps, numbers and special characters in the memorable password generator, similar to what is offered for the Random password generator. I have found that a majority of the sites I register for require some or all of these in their passwords. What is the progress of this request that has been made previously by others?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: os x 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:memorable password options

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TitanYYC! Welcome to the forum!

What is the progress of this request that has been made previously by others?

We don't have anything to share about this yet, so for the moment you will have to manually edit the password as you see fit, after 1Password has generated one for you.

• TitanYYC
    TitanYYC
    Community Member

Thanks for responding. I guess I don't understand the delay. I have been happy with 1P but this is a feature that would cause me to explore other options. What should be a 1 step process is now three or four and that is a bit frustrating. Thanks.

• @TitanYYC

We tend to hold any plans for the future pretty close to our chest. This allows us to be flexible and agile, but I understand it can be frustrating at times too. I'm sorry we can't share more here.

Ben

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member

Adding my vote to this feature request. Considering cancelling my membership over it.

Memorable password generation was one of the things that drew me to 1Password in the first place—but I'm finding more often than not that I have to manually edit the generated passwords due to A) lack of capitalization or b) lack of a number.

Without usable memorable password generation, I'm questioning why I don't just go back to iCloud Keychain and use a password generation tool that supports these features.

Something like the 1Password website :)

I'd really prefer to support an independent developer trying to bring great security to the masses, so I hope there's indication soon that this will be improved.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us @jjthejet. :)

Ben

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member

Checking in on this. I renewed my annual shortly after my previous post... but this is still a pain point that makes me feel not so great about that decision.

To demonstrate my point, check out this list of password requirements for a number of popular websites: https://passhints.co

The "memorable password" function will fail to generate a password that meets the minimum requirements for many of these sites.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jjthejet:

I can tell you that we are working on integrating with the recent password rules published by Apple, so this should make password suggestions work much better out of the box ;)

• rudy
    edited September 2020

@jjthejet,

In 7.7 the password generator will make use of both passwordRules being specified in the page (not many sites do this yet but there are more every day) as well as Apple's quirks database to generate passwords. Absent a quirk or a passwordRules your best password recipe is going to be memorable + capitalize + full words + digits and symbols.

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Hello @ag_ana & @rudy,

Even better than I had hoped, and very reassuring to know that you are listening to users and staying on top of new standards.

Thanks to the whole team!

• On behalf of the team you're very welcome @jjthejet. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.