Not able to download 1password6 safari extension from website

Hi, I followed the links to download the extension here https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C but I don't see a button or link to actually download the extension. Is this a bug?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password6 extension

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hitokirikensan,

What version of macOS and Safari are you using? They could be part of the explanation so we'll know better once you let us know :smile:

• hitokirikensan
    hitokirikensan
    Community Member

I'm on Mac OS 10.15 Beta (19A501i), Safari Version 13.0 (15608.1.31.1.2)

• Thanks for that information @hitokirikensan. The 1Password 6 extension is not compatible with Safari 13. Safari 13 requires 1Password 7. You can read more about this here:

1Password 6 for Mac won't fill or save in Safari 13 or later

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• hitokirikensan
    hitokirikensan
    Community Member

Thanks for the info @Ben! Quick question that I wasn't able to find a clear answer on. I paid for the full 1Password version before the subscription model kicked in. Is that moot now so if I want continued support I need to pay for 1Password 7?

Thanks!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

@hitokirikensan

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you'd like to discuss any particulars of your individual situation I'd recommend reaching out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with the details. If you'd prefer a license they are available from the 1Password 7 for Mac welcome screen by clicking the "need a license? We have those too" link. A 1Password 7 for Mac license is regularly $65 USD + tax, but is on sale as of writing for a limited time for $50 USD + tax.

Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

• garymonroe
    garymonroe
    Community Member

Been a fan for 10 years - when you shifted to membership mode you told me you would continue to support version 6 for Mac. Now 6 no longer works with Safari so either I change browsers or loose a key feature of your software. I paid for my license - surely if you are forcing me to upgrade you could offer a reasonable discount for the update. I don’t expect freebies -
    but I don’t appreciate the way you are forcing me to pay for membership or $50 for the required update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@garymonroe: No one will force you to upgrade. But as with 1Password 1 through 5, version 6 is no longer being developed. And there is a cost associated if you do upgrade, just as there is developing 1Password. This isn't a hobby for us; it's how we make a living. So if you'd like to use 1Password 7, you'd need to get it either as part of a paid 1Password membership, or by purchasing a license specifically for it. Those are the options we can offer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Many people put countless hours into their lives into developing 1Password 7 and the new Safari App Extension for Safari 13, which is completely different from the old .safariextz that previous versions of 1Password for Mac used. That's the only way for any of us to use 1Password in Safari going forward, and I don't think it would be fair to not pay them for their work. No shame in that.

If you wish, you can continue using 1Password 6 with browsers which have not changed their extension frameworks since it was released (which is most of them, though that will likely change in time as browsers -- and OSes -- evolve). But upgrading is recommended since not doing so is counterproductive both to compatibility and, in turn, security, if you're not updating other software to try to mitigate that. I'd suggest that a 1Password membership provides an ongoing value, in that you've always got the latest version for all your devices, and even if they are all lost, stolen, or destroyed you can simply sign into your account to get your data back. Food for thought. :)

• Fabi34
    Fabi34
    Community Member

Hey there,
    I wonder which is the last version of the Safari-Extension for the latest version of 1Password 6? I found this website, but I don't know, which one to download: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4#v4070590 .
    I'm still on Safari 12.1.1 with MacOS Mojave and was interested in, how much the standalone licence for 1P 7 is. So I downloaded and installed it. But after removing 1P 7 and unzip 1P 6 in the program/app directory (like somebody else in this forum advised), the Safari-Extension for 1P 6 didn't show up again in the settings of Safari v12. The app itself is ok. Can you help me to fix this, so my licence of 1P 6 works the way like it did before on the same system?
    Thank you!

• Hi @Fabi34

The 1Password 6 Safari extension could only be installed from the Safari Extension Gallery, which has now been retired by Apple. It no longer exists. I apologize, but as a result it is no longer possible to use 1Password 6 with Safari. You could use it with a different web browser, or upgrade to 1Password 7. But there is no supported way to make 1Password 6 work with Safari.

Ben

• Fabi34
    Fabi34
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thanks again for your quick reply!
    Sorry for the mistake, I thought the Extension Gallery is going hand in hand with Safari v13 and not v12.
    Good choice, making it difficult for the customer to find the price for the standalone licence of 1P 7 on the company’s website, so the easiest way for people to see the price is installing 1P 7. Because I tried to install 1Password 7, which uninstalled the “old” extension in Safari, I can’t go back to my old setting with 1Password 6 now. Well, I guess it was just bad luck for me and I have to switch to another browser.
    I’m really sorry for you, only getting unpleasant answers on that topic, and I hope this will get better in future. Have a great day!

• Standalone licenses aren't being advertised / recommended anymore, which is why they aren't mentioned on the website. Membership is the way forward.

Sorry for the mistake, I thought the Extension Gallery is going hand in hand with Safari v13 and not v12.

The Gallery going away affects all versions of Safari unfortunately. The difference is Safari 13 has a new mechanism to load extensions (Safari App Extensions), whereas older versions of Safari do not. 1Password 7 can load extensions using the new way, but 1Password 6 cannot.

I have to switch to another browser.

I'm sorry you're feeling pushed in that direction if you'd rather not, but that would be the only solution if you're going to stick with 1Password 6. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it.

I’m really sorry for you, only getting unpleasant answers on that topic, and I hope this will get better in future. Have a great day!

Thanks for the kind words. Have a good weekend. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.