How to associate a 1Password record with a specific Mac app?

coopr
coopr
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have an app on my Mac (not a browser) into which I frequently paste a password that I've copied from 1Password.

When I see the form in this app, I reflexively hit the 1Password keyboard shortcut command /

This brings up the 1Password window... but then I have to search for the item I need.

How can I tell 1Password "When I hit command / with app XYZ in the foreground, show 1Password record ABC"?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @coopr,

There isn't currently a way for end users to make such associations. They are added to the 1Password app itself by our development team. The mapping is based on the app's bundle ID and the URL in the website field on the login item. For example, we might map the bundle ID com.agilebits.1password to https://1password.com.

Which app are you using where this is not currently working as expected? I can see if our team would be able to add it to the mappings.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#1393

• In speaking with development about this, it turns out there is actually a way to manually associate a Login item with an app. You can add a website field to the Login item and use app://bundle-id-of-app as the URL (replacing bundle-id-of-app with the app's bundle ID). One way to find the bundle ID is to generate and save a password using the password generator in 1Password Mini while the app in question is in the foreground. You can also find it in the app's Info.plist file, though that takes a little more digging.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member

OK, progress, thanks Ben - I'm able to use your tip to get the bundle ID - but when I hit command / with my app in the foreground, 1Password Mini opens to the list of all items with my favorites at the top. In other words, 1Password Mini doesn't seem to recognize that I'm in my specific app when I hit command /.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

• @coopr

Could you please post a screenshot showing what you have for the website field for the item you want to appear for the app in question? Please make sure no sensitive information is included in the image. :)

▷ How to take a screenshot

Thanks!

Ben

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member

Sure - here is my 1Password item as it is currently configured. When I hit command / with the Citrix app in the foreground, 1Password opens to just a list of favorites.

This same thing happens even when I repeated this test with a different app - 1Password Mini always opens to "All Items" with my starred items listed first - so, maybe this isn't a problem with my specific app, but with 1Password Mini not correctly associating app bundle IDs to the foreground app?

• @coopr

Do you have 1Password > Preferences > Mini set to the default of "suggestions" for the "always open 1Password to" setting?

Ben

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Yep!

I'm curious - does your suggested approach work for you @Ben ?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020

@coopr

I just tested using the Terminal app (app://com.apple.Terminal) and was not able to get a Login to show up as a suggestion.

I'll have to follow up with our development team and see what the situation is here. Sorry about that.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4667

• @coopr

We believe we've got this fixed up in the latest beta build, which will be going out today. I tested myself and it appears to be working using the test item I posted above now:

If you'd like to try the beta you can find it here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7#v70600000
    If you'd rather wait for a stable build I can understand that. :)

Ben

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

This doesn’t appear to work on macos 10.15 with 7.5 or the 7.6 beta build

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snowy:

Which 7.6 beta build are you running exactly?

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.6.BETA-2 (70600002)
    1Password Beta

macOS Catalina (10.15.1)

I did notice there was beta release the day before and 2 after @Ben posted on 5/22. As you can see I tried the latest.

I also tried on my other Mac that runs Mojave (10.14) with 1P 7.5. It does not work on that setup either. I have not had chance to try the Beta.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@snowy:

Thank you for the confirmation! What is the exact URL that you put inside the website field of this 1Password item?

Also, have you made sure that the app you want to login to is the one in the foreground?

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

this is the entry:

noticed its cutoff:
    app://com.googlecode.iterm2

this is mini displayed with iTerm as the active app

I use this AppleScript with FastScripts (via hotkey) to make sure I get the correct app bundle ID:
    https://github.com/georgesnow/1password-applescripts

• @snowy

Would you mind testing with the Terminal app for us please? I wonder if these is a problem with iTerm specifically. Terminal is still working for me.

Ben

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

so I did tested with Terminal it only works the first time. So if I generate a new password for Terminal. It grabs the correct app bundle id creates an entry. If I open mini again it will display that entry. If I click to any other app then go back to Terminal and open mini it won't display that entry.

Funny enough I though it was working iTerm2 cause I saw the behavior, which at the time I though was because I had something in the search box. I also tried with Preview exact same behavior.

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

small update even though I have it set to show Suggestions.

when I open mini it opens to "All items". And if open the pop-up menu:

sure enough there it is:

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

so the issue has to do with pop-up menu not honoring my settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snowy:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Does mini follow your settings now?

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Nope it didn't fix it. I did try that earlier and tried again now on both macOS 10.14 and 10.15. I also tried installing 7.6 Beta 1 on my Mac that runs 10.15. This behavior is present in that version as well.

• @snowy,

This will be resolved in the next beta.

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

@rudy awesome thanks.

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

This appears to be fixed in the latest beta. I tested the build on Mojave (10.14).

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.