Wife can access shared vault on iPad but not iPhone

dmelody
dmelody
Community Member

Hi there. I'm a new user. I set up a shared vault for my wife and sent her an email. She opened the email on her iPad and, after downloading the app, was able to access the shared vault with no issues. She then downloaded the app on her iPhone, but cannot access the vault on that device.

The app is asking for her to subscribe (which we've already done, through the family plan). The iCloud link says that there are no vaults in her iCloud (we backed up both her iPad and iPhone onto iCloud before trying this). We tried having her open the invitation email on her iPhone, but the email said that it was expired/used.

I am not sure if this is an issue with 1Password or with her devices. All of her Apple "handoff" requirements are on - both devices have handoff activated, bluetooth on, and are synced with iCloud. She does not have any other known issues sharing data between apps on her two devices; just 1Password.

We'd really like to get her onto the app on her iPhone. Please let me know how to do that. Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @dmelody,

Is your wife's data in her 1Password account at this point? For example, if she signs in at https://my.1password.com/ is she able to see all of her items?
    1Password accounts don't utilize iCloud. :) If she can see her data at 1Password.com then I'd recommend uninstalling 1Password on the iPhone and then reinstalling it, selecting the 1Password.com option. Note this will erase any 1Password data from the iPhone.

Ben

• dmelody
    dmelody
    Community Member

Hi there and thanks for the reply. The site is asking for her "Secret Key." Is that the same as the one I originally was given when i signed up, or does she have a unique one as a family member? If so, where would I find that?

• @dmelody

She would've been given her own unique Secret Key when she signed up. Each account within a membership has its own Secret Key. She can find hers in her installation of 1Password for iOS on her iPad under 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts > [her account] > Secret Key > Show in Large Type. I'd highly recommend that each family member print a copy of their Emergency Kit, if possible:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

• dmelody
    dmelody
    Community Member

Hi Ben, and thanks again. We were able to see the shared vault using 1password.com on her phone (after retrieving her Secret Key from her iPad). However: (1) we'd very much like to get the app working on her phone and still can't figure out how to do that; and (2) I don't know how to get her Emergency Kit off her iPad - please see the attached file, which is a screenshot of an error message that showed up on her phone.

We uninstalled and reinstalled the app on her phone. It is now asking for a "Sign-in address" - what would that be? We have her email, Secret Code, and Master password all ready to go. I tried using her email as her sign-in address and got a "No response code from server" error.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult to have the app on two different apple devices - surely lots of people want that functionality? Am i missing a much simpler way to make this happen?

• dmelody
    dmelody
    Community Member

Hi Ben, and thanks again. We were able to see the shared vault using 1password.com on her phone (after retrieving her Secret Key from her iPad). However: (1) we'd very much like to get the app working on her phone and still can't figure out how to do that; and (2) I don't know how to get her Emergency Kit off her iPad - we got an error message (I tried to upload a screenshot, but the message board said that I couldn't upload a file of that type).

We uninstalled and reinstalled the app on her phone. It is now asking for a "Sign-in address" - what would that be? We have her email, Secret Code, and Master password all ready to go. I tried using her email as her sign-in address and got a "No response code from server" error.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult to have the app on two different apple devices - surely lots of people want that functionality? Am i missing a much simpler way to make this happen?

• @dmelody

The sign-in address is my.1password.com
    This information would also be found in 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts > [her account] on the device that is already signed in.

The Emergency Kit can be printed from the https://my.1password.com/ web app on a computer - not a mobile device. This kit has a QR code on it that can be scanned to pre-populate all of the fields except the Master Password (which should be memorized). The Master Password can also be hand-written on the printed page. The same scannable QR code can also be found on the same tab mentioned above on a signed in iOS device by tapping "view setup code."

We have a guide on adding the app to additional devices here:

Get the 1Password apps

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dmelody
    dmelody
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I think we have the app working on her phone now. We'll try to log her in on the PC to get the Emergency Kit going as well. Appreciate all the prompt help!

• You're very welcome. Glad to hear things are headed in the right direction. :) I'd suggest double checking that none of her devices have a "Primary" vault remaining on them. If they do, we should address that. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.