13 Years Later: Is it me or is the Usability of 1Password Generally Awful?

pmauro
pmauro
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Yep, I have been a customer since 2007 and I can't recall one registration, login or online purchase that worked end-to-end that went smoothly without some issue or annoyance. It's as if nobody in the company uses this software or tests this software in the real world. I mean you guys solve one problem for a living and companies like google can build the feature into chrome more reliably in some cases.

But the real slap in the face is that the app does not help me work around its common shortcomings. For example, if you save a new login with only a password because you missed the username, why don't you ask me to enter a username or suggest the one I use 99% of the time.

Sadly, your competition isn't much better so I am going to provide some feedback here in hopes that someone will listen or point me to some ways to address my issues.

Do other users feel the same way? How does the 1Password team feel about this? What is the company doing to address this?

Configurations aside, I have had these problems in one form or another for years across various setups and versions of this app & extensions. Working from memory here so excuse me if I get something wrong:

Chrome OSX 10.14.16

• 90% of the time app misses autocomplete info when registering for an account or buying something (shipping, credit card, etc)
  • 75% of the time the app will not automatically pre-populate a login
  • 25% of the time the app will not populate a login correctly
  • 10% of the time I have to search for a login because the chrome extension does not list it in the dropdown
  • No sense of context: When registering on a form that does not ask for a credit card, why suggest autofilling 4 credit cards before my identity?
  • When I go to edit a login, it opens up 1Password web UI instead of desktop app (probably a personal config issue)
  • Tries to fill in password when I write an email in Outlook for Web
  • If I have a problem, why not let me one click report the website so the team can address it?

**Android

• 95% of the time does not log into android apps automatically or misses email or password and I have to copy and past info from app (switch app, unlock 1Password, copy one field of info, switch back, paste info, switch back, repeat over and over)
  • 75% of the time I am asked to save a login for login that I already have (that was not recognized when I tried to login in the first place)
  • Autocomplete sometimes blocks UI elements or buttons that I need to fill out a form

I could go on but I am running out of steam here.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: OSX 10.14.16
Sync Type: 1Password's Service

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

Hi @pmauro!

Thank you for all the feedback! When it comes to the website issues, we would love to help you solve the issues that you have been experiencing, but we will need more details when those happen. The percentages don't really tell us anything about where things are going wrong.

Whenever you face a specific issue with a website, please feel free to report the URL to us and what the exact issue is, and we will be happy to test them here too :)

• pmauro
    pmauro
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I understand that percentages don't help you solve specific problems.

But one of my goals with this post is to see if I am the only one out here experiencing consistent failure with this software.

Since I run into these problems constantly Is there a specific way I'm supposed to provide reports and information?

(There should be a button in the app that allows me to report a website so I'm not creating a part-time job for myself hoping to fix your software with bug reports).

And what about the other issues and suggestions that I reported?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pmauro:

Since I run into these problems constantly Is there a specific way I'm supposed to provide reports and information?

You can reach out to us via email, or you can open a discussion here on this forum, in the relevant forum section, as you prefer :)

And what about the other issues and suggestions that I reported?

As soon as you can share with us the exact URL and steps to reproduce the issues you have listed, we will be happy to test all of them and try to reproduce them. If we can reproduce them, we can pass the feedback to the developers so they can take a closer look.

Feel free to open a separate discussion for each issue so you don't end up with multiple chats about different things in the same place :+1:

Until then, the only ones with a specific question I can answer are these two:

When I go to edit a login, it opens up 1Password web UI instead of desktop app (probably a personal config issue)

Are you by chance using 1Password X? This would explain this behavior, since 1Password X does not communicate with the 1Password desktop app. It's an independent extension. You might want to use the old companion browser extension instead, or use 1Password mini in your menu bar for quick editing.

If I have a problem, why not let me one click report the website so the team can address it?

I think it's because often we need more information to look at a website. Just the URL might not be enough: knowing the steps you are following is very helpful in understanding what is happening.

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

Regarding the website reporting issue mentioned by @pmauro, I remember when 1P mini used to have a "report a website issue" menu option. If I'm remembering correctly, it would automatically copy the URL of the current web page and auto-populate the technical specs of your system and 1P versions. It was great! Whatever happened to that?

• Hi @TonyDennis ,

I believe that was removed when 1Password mini was redesigned for 7.0. I'll pass on your feedback that you miss that and would like to see it return.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@ag_kevin Ditto on restoring the "Report a Website Issue" functionality.

• Thanks @OAW. :+1:

Ben

• pmauro
    pmauro
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Not to be salty but really... Those reporting options are unacceptable. I will wait for an in-app submission.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I provided two issues that I don't need URLs for you to take action:

• No sense of context: When registering on a form that does not ask for a credit card, why suggest autofilling 4 credit cards before my identity?
    • Tries to fill in password when I write an email in Outlook for Web

Yep, I am using 1Password X. Wil there be an integration? Other workarounds add extra steps so I will downgrade if nothing is planned to fix this.

• The reason the "Report a Website Issue" option was removed was because it wasn't improving the filling experience any. Having a conversation with our extensions team is the best way to get any such issues addressed.

No sense of context: When registering on a form that does not ask for a credit card, why suggest autofilling 4 credit cards before my identity?

This is a fair question that we don't need a URL to address. It would be great to improve our form detection logic and then only offer credit card options on forms that request a credit card. I don't know when or if we'll get there, but I agree it would be a better experience than always suggesting them.

Tries to fill in password when I write an email in Outlook for Web

This one we need a URL for, please. Please email us with a description of the issue and a URL. :)
    support@1password.com

Wil there be an integration?

An integration? I'm not sure I follow. If you mean an integration between 1Password X and the native 1Password apps (e.g. 1Password for Mac) then yes, that is something that is actively in beta testing:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉 — 1Password Forum

Thanks!

Ben

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

@pmauro
    You are not alone, I'm also using 1p since 2007 and have the same feeling.
    1password has grew a lot since 2007 with a lot of features, but has sometimes some weird behaviors regarding the filling from the app or the browser extensions (I'm using chrome extension). UI I think has followed the application market, not the better always, but I can understand.

100% for an in-app issue submission.

@ag_ana
    Why are you writing old companion browser extension? As far as I know, extension still available and supported, no?

• As far as I know, extension still available and supported, no?

It is, but it is also older (and hence the terminology used). Currently we offer both 1Password X and 1Password extension (desktop app required) for most of the major web browsers. They offer similar functions and serve similar purposes. I would guess that at some point these two projects will become one. There is a fair bit of redundancy and confusion with two.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.