Prompts for master password

rzla
rzla
Community Member

I'm confused about why I'm being prompted to enter my master password so often. I can understand why it needs to be entered upon opening the 1Password app, but I often find myself switching between an app which requires a password and the 1Password app, and I'm being prompted to enter my master password yet again. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks ...

1Password Version: 7.4.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Too. many master password prompts

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rzla! Welcome to the forum!

Did you enabled Touch ID or Face ID to unlock your 1Password app?

• rzla
    rzla
    Community Member

I enabled it yesterday, and I'll see if that helps.. I would have guessed that there would be some user-configurable amount of time after which the user is asked to reauthenticate (whether via Face ID or by re-entering the master password), but apparently that's not the case. But if using Face ID prevents all that typing, that solution works for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rzla:

But if using Face ID prevents all that typing, that solution works for me.

Indeed, that's the case. However, please never forget your Master Password: enabling Face ID does not mean that you will never have to enter your Master Password again: Face ID is just a substitute to make opening the 1Password app more convenient, but your data is still protected by your Master Password.

• theonlysuperandrew
    theonlysuperandrew
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

@ag_ana It would be great to never have to enter the master password, or face ID, or touch ID.

I only use 1Password on devices that don't leave the house. It's only adding to frustration as the touchID sometimes doesn't work as fast as I'd like on my iOS device. And the Windows version, I have to enter the full password every time -- but that computer never leaves the house and there's no one else here to use it. If I've successfully logged into Windows, it should accept that I'm the valid user. :)

• theonlysuperandrew
    theonlysuperandrew
    Community Member

As an option, of course. You wouldn't want to make that a default...

• Thanks for sharing your perspective @theonlysuperandrew. Making it such that you never have to unlock would seemingly require that we not encrypt the data, which isn't something we could do in good conscience. At the end of the day 1Password is a security focused product. There is always a trade-off between security and convenience, and we're working continually to balance those interests, but user preference or not I don't think we could in good faith essentially allow someone to turn off all of the protections. Even in a scenario such as you described where the devices are stationary there are concerns of theft and internet based attacks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.