Please! Bring Back! the 'Item List Layout: TOP' view!

Options
ghostdog
ghostdog
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

Long user of 1Pass, I'm now on the 6 and I try the new 7.

One of my #1 features are gone now :angry: the "Item List Layout: TOP".

I manage around 500 passwords and more and more coming, I use only the "Item List Layout: TOP" view, why??? because all looks like a list, like a excel spreadsheet, like the songs view on iTunes; is very easy to see and order, everything in one shot, manage fast etc.

On the other hand the left list is very annoying, I see a huge block of space for every item.

Also I don't use the "rich icons" feature, so on 7 view everything is distracting, huge text, with that abbreviations like "EC" "DC" "WM" for every single item. Also different colors for every single item. Seriously is not good for the easy spot, very distracting.

Maybe sounds stupid but the view on 7 reminds me the Periodic table!

Now, just looks How CLEAR! easy to spot everything kooks, no colors! small text! yes, like excel list!

Please bring back the "Item List Layout: TOP" view, I really need it.

For now I stay on 1pass6 until I see the "Item List Layout: TOP" view again on the 7.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghostdog: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but we don't have any plans to continue maintaining multiple UIs in 1Password. Apart from you and I, very few people liked or even used the top view since 1Password 3 introduced the first iteration of the layout we have today. We heard from about a half dozen others since 1Password 7 launched over a year ago who similarly preferred the top view, but given the lack of interest since then (and, frankly, in the past decade), it was best for us to drop it, especially since it was increasingly missing support for newer features like Watchtower, vaults, accounts, and a lot of other things I'm forgetting off the top of my head, because it's been so long since the top view was the default, or used widely.

Regarding the periodic table reference, that's a good observation! I think a lot of us would see that as a positive though; some of us even have tee shirts with the Periodic Table. :lol: I guess I'd be curious why you don't use the Rich Icons feature at all, since that makes it easy to find the item you want at a glance. The "initials" default icons are not quite as useful in that regard, but they're easier to parse than static icons like the old default:

But overwhelmingly 1Password users have mostly Logins, so having them all use the exact same icon, for literally hundreds of items, has become untenable. So, while Rich Icons are preferred when available (if you haven't set a custom icon), when not, 1Password generates coloured icons with a couple letters based on the title, so users can tell them apart. That's been really successful, so I don't anticipate us changing that, other than to iterate on the design over time. I'm sorry that might not be what you're hoping to hear, but it's made 1Password much more usable for people with a lot of Logins -- which is what happens to all 1Password users over time; we don't generally get fewer. :)

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I understand your point, but believe me if you have 1000 passwords or so is helpful see stuff in one shot like a excel spreadsheet without distracting stuff.

The actual view looks more "fancy" and distracting, maybe not technical.

I work with tons of servers and passwords that don't have any rich icons, I don't need that, is a good feature but not esencial to me.

The grey icon actually is good, that reminds me that is a login type. I don't need see "Ac", "Dc" etc... the brain can't understand that in one shot when you read long lists.

That new actual view will take me more time in work, I bet I will use the search more, not just simple a simple scroll in one shot.

Check this final example with itunes.

Vertical View (like 1pass7): https://imgur.com/GBpgKfz
    Horizontal view (like 1pass6 like a spreadsheet) https://i.imgur.com/wCQBZL7.png (I can't see more easily the songs, move between artist etc. same thing for passwords).

Anyway, I hope your UX/UI team can read this.
    Thank You.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ghostdog: I hadn't heard it put that way. Thank you. I guess the question I have is, what is the benefit you derive from being able to "see stuff in one shot like a excel spreadsheet"?

I'm not trying to make this into a competition, but I have many more than 1000 items in 1Password. That's actually kind of embarrassing to admit publicly, because I think a fair number of those need to be archived and/or deleted. :lol:

I like the example of iTunes, but not in the way you're probably hoping: I really find it tedious to try to scroll through a text-only list of my music like that. I probably have way too much music... Thank heaven for search!

Anyway, I will bring your comments up with the team. I don't see us changing 1Password to be more like iTunes in this regard, as we just haven't had may requests at all to move back to something more like the old top view, but we want to keep as many perspectives in mind as we continue to iterate on the design over time. :)

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for taking the time to share your perspective! :chuffed:

• spacetime
    spacetime
    Community Member
    Options

any updates on this?

please, Please, PLESAE bring back the options to view list/columns and soft by various columns.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't have any updates to share about this at the moment @spacetime, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.