Why can I no longer autofill into app login modal browser dialogs?

Options
connorpj
connorpj
Community Member

Once upon a time (potentially right before I updated to Catalina a few weeks ago), when I was using a Mac app that popped up a little browser window (no chrome other than the stoplight) to log into a web service, 1Password would be capable of autofilling credentials into that pane with ⌘. Nowadays, when I am faced with such a window and hit ⌘\, 1Password Mini pops up with the correct set of credentials for the dialog in question, but is unwilling to fill into the field, leaving me to either drag and drop or copy and paste. What has happened to my beloved autofill in app browser windows?

Thanks as always for being amazing!

Connor

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password for Families
Referrer: forum-search:item suggestions in Mini

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @connorpj!

(no chrome other than the stoplight)

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?

• connorpj
    connorpj
    Community Member
    Options

it's a web browser window but not a full Safari window. It has no buttons or interface controls other than the red amber green—close minimize maximize buttons. See the attached photo for an example:

At some point in the recent past, when faced with such a window, I could hit ⌘\ and 1Password would autofill into this window just as if it were a regular safari window. But now if I do so, 1Password Mini appears, but I am unable to fill directly into the window. Upon further looking, I actually need to correct something I said earlier:

1Password Mini pops up with the correct set of credentials for the dialog in question

Turns out it can't even tell what credentials should be used. I was just getting lucky that the login I was using was first in my Favorites, so 1Password Mini would show it by default. Am I doing something wrong to lose this prior functionality, or was this a breaking change in Catalina that we can't do anything about?

• Ben
    Options

@connorpj

1Password for Mac can only fill into web browsers, not web views within other 3rd party apps (like the Dropbox app in your screenshot). This isn't a new situation - it has always been the case.

At some point in the recent past, when faced with such a window, I could hit ⌘\ and 1Password would autofill into this window just as if it were a regular safari window.

If this were a popup from the Safari app then that would be the case. But it isn't. :)

Turns out it can't even tell what credentials should be used. I was just getting lucky that the login I was using was first in my Favorites, so 1Password Mini would show it by default

A couple things to check:

1. Do you have 1Password > Preferences > Mini > "Open 1Password to" set to "Suggestions"?
    2. Does your Login item for Dropbox have a website field on it and does that field contain dropbox.com?

Am I doing something wrong to lose this prior functionality, or was this a breaking change in Catalina that we can't do anything about?

Respectfully, I believe you may be misremembering or misinterpreting what was possible in the past. We've never been able to fill the window in your screenshot on a Mac.

Ben

• connorpj
    connorpj
    Community Member
    Options

It's very possible I'm misremembering, though the reason I thought it stuck in my head was because I was surprised when it would work in such an instance. Perhaps some app developers built a window that behaves enough like Safari that extensions are still in place? Regardless, what is the recommended set of steps to work in such a window? ⌥⌘\ to summon 1Password Mini, search for the relevant login, and then drag and drop?

Many thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@connorpj:

Regardless, what is the recommended set of steps to work in such a window? ⌥⌘\ to summon 1Password Mini, search for the relevant login, and then drag and drop?

Yes, I think that's a very good way to do it. You can also copy and paste the fields if you prefer to use the keyboard instead of dragging and dropping, although this will come down to personal preference.

This discussion has been closed.