Unable to setup Two Factor Authentication for Gmail

Options
joeg3
joeg3
Community Member

Hi,
I've setup 2FA in the past and understand the general concept, but I'm unable to set it up for Gmail. When I get to the point to drag the Gmail QR code into the 1Password pop up window, it doesn't "stick". So I'm stuck at this spot.

I'm using 1Password 7.4.4 on the Mac. Since I was having difficulty, I googled it, and I'm basically following the step from here: https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/use-1password-to-set-up-two-step-verification-for-online-accounts--cms-26419

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:setup two factor authentication for gmail

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@joeg3

I see you are using the Mac App Store version. I wonder if that's holding you up?

It is no longer possible for the Mac App Store version of 1Password to look at your screen for QR codes. App Store apps are only allowed to use the Screen Recording permission for actual screen recording applications, not for reading QR codes. Going forward your options are:

• paste the QR code image into the scanner window
    • drag the QR code image into the scanner window
    • click on the camera button in the bottom right of the window and choose Open File to pick an image of the QR code
    • make use of Camera Continuity via the camera button in the bottom right of the window to take a picture with your iPhone/iPad
    • make use of the iSight/FaceTime camera on your MacBook/Air/Pro to take a picture of the QR code on another screen/device/print out

You can also alternatively switch to using the WebStore build which does not have the same access limitation.

• joeg3
    joeg3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_tommy,
    Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, dragging the QR code image into the scanner window doesn't work. But I was able to copy/paste the image, so I'm moving forward - thanks!

If I install 1Password using Homebrew, would that have the screen access limitation?

Thanks,
    Joe

• @joeg3

I'm glad that something was useful out of my post. :) It may be something with how Google presents the QR code. I am unsure about Homebrew. If it installs the website version, then no, that version does not have the limitations.

• joeg3
    joeg3
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks!

• Ben
    Options

For what it's worth: I understand the value of Homebrew, but we don't recommend installing 1Password using it. We do not officially distribute 1Password through brew. The best way to install 1Password is through our website directly. The app has an updater built-in which will help keep you up to date. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.