Sync propagation latency

Options
wulymammoth
wulymammoth
Community Member

I'm currently a paying customer and I love supporting good software and I'm mostly happy having switched to 1Password, but... I've encountered syncing issues on several occasions -- a delay in sync, particularly when it comes to new passwords:
1. I generate a new password for a new account on the MacOS client/iOS client
2. I make an attempt to use it from a different device iOS client/MacOS client using the search feature
3. I cannot find it. There's no way for me to force sync (that I know of) and I'm sort of inclined to switch to a different mode of syncing, but I'm paying for a 1Password membership

Currently, I just have to wait it out and this isn't a very pleasant user experience as I'll likely forget

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

@wulymammoth

Lock and unlock on the Mac app will trigger a sync though the Mac app should be able to listen in the background for any notifications. The same should apply on the iOS devices with one exception, after a period of time, iOS will cut off background notifications. You are correct in that there is not a way to force a sync, other than the unlock method, to my knowledge.

• wulymammoth
    wulymammoth
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy thank you for sharing that bit! I'll try to remember next time. From a user experience perspective, I think it's best that there never needs to be a force sync feature. However, it sounds like there are only two events that trigger a sync at present: 1) lock 2) unlock. Perhaps an enhancement from the 1Password side could be that syncs are triggered also when passwords are created and/or destroyed as well?

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

Mac OS listens in the background, and syncing should happen, Automagically! 1Password for iOS would do the same (up until iOS shuts off background processes). What this means is that as the change is made on the devices, it is sent to your account. The other devices should pick it up (notifications are sent to the other devices) provided, of course, they are on, not blocked think strict firewall rules. A unlock will need to be made, and it could take a second or perhaps two before 1Password processes it.

This discussion has been closed.