1Password button in Safari toolbar disappeared, and clicking on 1Pw icon in toolbar just blinks

Options
Jimbotron
Jimbotron
Community Member

Hi there,

Longtime 1Password user here and I upgraded to 1Password7 earlier this year. On one of my computers it installed fine and I was using it for awhile but at some point I noticed the 1Password button disappeared from the Safari toolbar. At the same time I noticed that if I click the 1Password icon in the toolbar it just blinks but nothing actually opens. I can still open the 1Password app from the dock so I have been using that as my workaround for now, figuring that there might be a 1Password update that would resolve it. This has been going on for probably a couple weeks now and no updates so there must be something else wrong. I believe I have restarted my computer since the problem started but to no avail. I also have 1Password installed on two other computers and they are working fine.

BTW on the computer where I have the problem I noticed if I go to https://support.1password.com/update-extension/#safari it says "1Password is not installed in your browser." but in Safari > Preferences > Extensions it shows 1Password as my only Extension, and it shows an Uninstall button, making me think it actually is installed, conflicting with the update-extension website.

Can you help me troubleshoot the issues I mentioned above?

I am running the following:
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Safari 13.0.5 (1608.5.12)
1Password 7 Version 7.4.3 (70403002)

Thank you,
Jim

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Jimbotron

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty getting 1Password to work as expected in Safari. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• tdha
    tdha
    Community Member
    Options

I won't lie – it was a hassle after the update to install/uninstall extensions and spend time finding a solution. That said, the above instructions work. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @tdha, and sorry for the inconvenience! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Jimbotron
    Jimbotron
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. That did the trick! Do you think there might have been something I did to "break" it?

Cheers,
    Jim

• Sal Conigliaro
    Sal Conigliaro
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed the same thing after upgrading to Catalina. With Safari open, clicking on the 1Password menu bar icon just makes it blink (no pop-over window opens). When I am in the Finder and click on the 1Password menu bar, then the pop-over opens like it should.

The 1P icon is also missing from Safari's toolbar. To get 1P to work in Safari, I have to disable/re-enable the 1P Safari extension. Once I do that, 1P again appears in Safari's toolbar and the menu bar app works normally again.

I'm running Safari Version 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8) (the default version from Catalina 10.15.4)

• Ben
    Options

@Jimbotron

Likely not anything specific you did, or could be expected to know to do different. We've found that sometimes Safari is particularly stubborn about holding on to an old version of the extension after an update has been installed, and so in those cases it may need a kick.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Sal Conigliaro

Thanks for letting us know. If you see this happen again I would recommend trying these instructions.

Ben

• Sal Conigliaro
    Sal Conigliaro
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, good to know. Thanks @Ben !

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.