Apple Watch to unlock MasterPassword?

stevedolce
stevedolce
Community Member

Can I use my Apple Watch to unlock my 1Password Master Password? or do I need to type it in every time? thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @stevedolce

Sadly, we can't do this yet, to the best of my knowledge Apple has yet to release the required API's we would need. Even if they released it today, we would need to develop and test it. Perhaps one day. I, too, hope to see this feature.

If you have a Mac that has Touch ID, you can use that to unlock.

• poobear
    poobear
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

@ag_tommy Take a look at https://outercorner.com/secrets-mac/. They've had Watch unlock for a long time. And it's awesome.

• @poobear

No doubt, others have been able to make use of the watch in some respects. Anything we do must be done carefully and with due regard for our customer's privacy, protection, and our exacting standards. That's not to say others have taken shortcuts. We hold ourselves to a high standard, and if we can't do it right, we will pass until we can do it right with all the needed chess pieces in place.

• alexanderworldwide
    alexanderworldwide
    Community Member

My banking app, which contains data that is just as sensitive as 1Pass, released this a couple of months ago. The APIs are there and available. You are making this out to be more complex than it is. It's nothing more than adding a setting that users can activate at their own discretion to unlock the app via a connected and verified Apple Watch. This feature should be a top priority IMHO.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Thank you for your feedback :+1: :)

• mauriciopretto
    mauriciopretto
    Community Member

+1 on this request!

• Request noted. :)

• donckrr
    donckrr
    Community Member

Awesome idea! Count me in, this would help so much. Only wait for the api then..

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback :+1: :)

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

I just installed a program called Royal TSX (shareware), which is a program that techies use for SSH, SCP, telnet, VNC, etc. One feature it has is to protect embedded credentials via Mac's TouchID feature, like 1Password. I figured this behavior was the same as 1Password, where if I enabled TouchID that I have to use my fingerprint on my laptop to unlock it. While this does work, to my shock, on my Apple watch it triggers a prompt for double tapping the side button to authenticate. This assumes my Apple watch is on my wrist and unlocked.

Could 1Password behave the same way, where you could either physically touch the TouchID sensor OR double tap on a paired and unlocked Apple watch? I have to bend over to reach my laptop (use a wireless keyboard/mouse), so quickly double tapping my watch is way faster and easier than using a fingerprint or typing in my very complex and long master password.

I didn't know applications could trigger an Apple watch authentication prompt, but was aware of it coming in Catalina to certain OS security prompts.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: MacOS Catalina
    Sync Type: native

• dchevitarese
    dchevitarese
    Community Member

+1 on this request!

• :+1:

Ben

• Hey @TravelSD. Your thread was merged into an existing one on the same subject. Please see above. :)

Ben

• steve02x
    steve02x
    Community Member

Hi Community!

I saw this feature in a "german" app: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/outbank-360-banking/id1094255754?mt=12 it is featured under 2.25.3 update (big catalina update).

So i think the API is apparently public. Is this feature to unlock 1Password with watch in production?

It sucks to type in the master password everytime.

Best wishes,
    Steve

• tedees
    tedees
    Community Member

+1
    Definitely love unlocking my laptop with my iWatch...wish I could do the same with 1Password!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for sharing your wishes :+1: :)

• alexanderworldwide
    alexanderworldwide
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

My banking app MoneyMoney (available in Germany) has offered this functionality (double-tap the Apple Watch button to unlock) for a couple of months now. Honestly unbelievable that 1Password not only doesn't already offer this but apparently the devs aren't even aware that the API has long been publicly available.

Passwords and bank accounts are fairly equal with regards to security and Germany is known worldwide for being a very privacy-conscious country. If this banking app can do it, so can you ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I have had the chance to discuss this with a member of our security team, and I was told that the current API does not offer what we need to securely store 1Password information. While some banking apps allow unlocking with Apple Watch, 1Password is not a banking app that requires simply unlocking the app: 1Password requires decrypting data, and the current API does not allow us to use it in the way that 1Password needs to securely decrypt information.

It would be great if the API could be updated in the future though, and we will definitely keep an eye out for any new information about this :+1: :)

• poobear
    poobear
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that https://outercorner.com/secrets-mac/ is not doing it securely?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@poobear:

I am not familiar with that app, so I cannot comment on how they implemented the feature, sorry! However I can say that 1Password also works differently in that it uses both a Master Password and a Secret Key to keep your data secure, so something that works for one app does not necessarily mean that it can work for every other.

One of our developers also said the same thing some time ago however (you can find the post here), and because they know the technicalities of this much better than I do, I am sure there is a good reason for why they wrote that :)

• Jullien124578
    Jullien124578
    Community Member

Also Dashlane add extension to safari that can be unlocked with apple Watch.
    Seems Apple opened the API to developers.

Time to go ahead and develop it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@Jullien124578:

Request noted, as per the other discussion you posted about this some weeks ago :+1: :)

• Jullien124578
    Jullien124578
    Community Member

Yep, just get all informations in the same place ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

Looks like this has been added in the latest beta 🥳

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Yep, thank you for the update @Lukas S. :)

• The key thing is the Secure Enclave. That's what we needed for 1Password. :) Thanks for the kind words @XIII.

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Before to create a new thread, I'd like to ask if anybody has some issues with the feature just added: the possibility to unlock the desktop app via Apple Watch.

Not always is possible to use the watch to unlock the desktop app. Unlockgin the app from the menu bar on top, it never fails. But it fails opening the desktop app from dock icon.

I receive the message to unlock the app on the watch perfectly, but with double press on the physical button, nothing happens. I need to close the finger print request on macbook, and trigger it again pressin on the finger print icon on the desktop app.

Running

• macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73), macbook with T1 chip for secure enclave
    • watchOS 6.2.8 on serie 4 device
    • last beta of desktop app 7.7.BETA-0 (70700000)

As little hint: have you ever noticed that opening the desktop app, in the touch bar, the finger print request does appear, disappear for a moment, and reapper? This is happening from so much time, and I'm quite sure that this breaks the things somehow, and now I see the result with the Apple Watch new feature.

EDIT: made a new thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/114727/not-always-possible-to-unlock-the-app-by-apple-watch/p1?new=1

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

And, just noticed that if I have NO watch at my wirst, I cannot use the finger print as unlock method on my macbook. This is totally not indende I think, since in the settings, I?ve BOTH otions active as possible unlock methods.

EDIT: made a thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/114726/finger-print-unlock-is-not-possible-with-apple-watch-not-at-my-wirst/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.