watchtower

As useful as watchtower is, can it be told to ignore certain items; e.g. alerting me to a weak password when I specifically want to use a certain password. Some box to check telling watchtower to ignore the issue for this login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Not at the moment for weak passwords, @SecretSquirrel, but depending on what this Login is for, there's some possibility altering how you've saved it could help. For example, any numeric password that's 6 digits or fewer and has no website saved will be considered a PIN and automatically excluded. For things you need to fill, removing the website field may not be an option, but it might be doable for something only ever filled in a native app, for example. For some aspects of Watchtower, it is possible to exclude items. Those are the "Unsecured Websites" and "Inactive 2FA" sections. To exclude from the former, you can add an http tag, useful for sites or local web apps that don't support https. For the latter, add a 2FA tag. These are most useful for sites that do support 2FA, but only via something like SMS or a proprietary app such that you can saved your TOTP in 1Password. If you don't use 1Password for OTPs at all, turning the Inactive 2FA feature off in Watchtower settings is a better bet than tagging everything. :+1:

• Sure thing, @SecretSquirrel! I definitely understand the desire to exclude stuff. I have a pile of test items myself all of which have Watchtower flags all over the, but of course, they're not real accounts so they don't matter. It would definitely be nice to have a tidy way to manage this without encouraging people too much to ignore Watchtower warnings (or cluttering up their tags for that matter), but we'll have to see if we can find a good way to strike that balance. :chuffed:

• x556
    x556
    Community Member

Please do find a way. It's messing with my OCD. I need to see everything at 0. I can click on an acknowledgement somewhere it's my responsibility if I exclude certain items. Some items are controlled by my workplace and there's simply no way for me to edit them.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @x556,

Thank you for chipping in!

We are looking at different ways to improve Watchtower and this is one of them. I do not have anything to share at this point, but I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• x556
    x556
    Community Member

I appreciate your response @Greg . Looking forward to those improvements.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@x556: :+1: :chuffed:

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

To the 1Password Team,

Having more fine-grained control over Watchtower is an improvement I would love to see, would make Watchtower more useful, and have seen requested numerous times on these forums almost since Watchtower was first released.

The simple fact is that many of us put everthing in 1Password, including sites for which the credentials cannot be changed or made secure. I don't care about the security of these sites or the credentials. I store them in 1Password for convenience; not security.

It would be extremely helpful and make Watchtower more useful if any of the following were possible:

• The ability to easily filter Watchtower results based on vault (e.g., ignore results on specific vaults while displaying results for others)
    • The ability to choose which vaults Watchtower checks. I could then put all my "don't care" accounts into a vault that's not checked while relying on Watchtower to check the others.
    • Ability to ignore more specific checks (similar to 2FA and https tags) per entry, or even a tag to ignore all Watchtower checks on an entry.

For anyone else dealing with this, here's a workaround I use: I put all my entries that I wish Watchtower didn't check into a separate vault. I then pay attention to Watchtower results for the vaults I care about, and ignore the one I don't. This helps make Watchtower results useful but unfortunately is more work to check individual vaults instead of looking at results for all vaults. Depending on how many different vaults you have, this may or may not be that helpful. The first suggestion above (easily filter results by vault) would help with this 1000%.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work!

Peace out.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Michael Mercurio,

Thank you for weighing in and sharing your workaround! It is really appreciated.

We want to improve Watchtower without complicating 1Password interface, so we are looking at different ways of how we can do that in the future. One other idea that we received here in the forum is that we could add a separate "Ignored" list in Watchtower, so those items the user has selected to ignore can still appear and be actioned upon.

I will make sure to share your suggestions with our team. Thank you again! If you have other questions, feel free to raise them here. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.