1Password extension for Safari Not Detecting Logins

Options
Boosh
Boosh
Community Member

Lately, the 1Password extension for Safari on my system is not detecting newly created logins.

For example, I created an account at https://www.waveapps.com. I used the Safari suggested password and logged into the account for the first time. 1Password did not ask me to save the new login. I logged out of the Waveapp.com account and logged back in. Still 1Password did not prompt me to save the login details. Then I tried it in Firefox with the 1Password extension for Firefox and it immediately asked me to save the login.

This seems to be an ongoing and sporadic problem with the Safari extension. Any idea why it's not working correctly?

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: 7.4.4
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Boosh,

Do you have Safari's own password management capabilities enabled? There is a known conflict between the two that may prevent 1Password from prompting if you'd like to save new logins. I'd recommend disabling Safari's, if you haven't already:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

Ben

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

OK thanks. I'll disable those settings to see if that fixes the issue.

Any idea if this conflict will be resolved with a future version of 1Password or Safari?

• Ben
    Options

Doubtful, unfortunately. It is just a matter of two different programs trying to do the same thing at the same time, which is bound to cause trouble.

Ben

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

The strange thing is that the 1Password extension and Safari's autofill never used to conflict on my systems and I've used 1Password for years. This is, at least for me, a recent problem. So something clearly has changed with Safari or 1Password or macOS. Perhaps it's Apple's increasing lockdown of macOS and Safari.

Whatever the case, it's a very annoying inconvenience. I would like to be able to use both Safari's autofill feature and 1Password in Safari without having to disable one or the other.

There has got to be some way to work around this. Maybe Agilebits can work with Apple's Safari team to find a solution to this.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @Boosh. It has been a problem for as long I can remember (I've been here 10+ years), so I don't imagine it is a situation that is going to change. I understand it has only recently surfaced with your setup, but I suspect that is more luck until this point than anything. I understand that isn't the desired answer, but I'd rather be as up front as I can than make promises that are likely unrealistic.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.