Quick Settings tile for opening 1Password autofill on Android

felipecassiors
felipecassiors
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Android
  • A Quick Settings tile where you can press and open a pop-up 1Password screen to search for a password to fill in the current app.
  • An optional alternative to the Quick Settings tile, which would be an always there autofill notification.
  • The pop-up screen can be the same used in Accessibility autofill but would be very useful if it has some other features, such as long-press for copying (since some fields can't be auto-filled) and long-press for reveal password (since some fields don't accept pasting).
  • It must be a pop-up screen drawn over the current app because some apps close the login activity when it loses the focus.

This is a very handy feature of Lastpass, which helps to fill every app, even the most obscure ones which have its own screen keyboard for example.

Comments

• @felipecassiors Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass this request on to our development team. In the meantime, if you're finding that the Autofill prompt isn't appearing when it should, try long pressing in the login field and tapping Autofill from the context menu.

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#29

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member

In most apps autofill does work, the problem is Chrome based browsers (Edge, Chrome, Brave you name em) have issues with most password managers. I used to use the Lastpass quick setting tile button all the time in chrome to make the autofill prompt pop up when it wouldn't. This really is a much needed feature. It might be the only thing I miss about my switch from Lastpass to 1Password. It is very annoying ot have to switch to the 1password app to copy 3 fields because 1password will not pop up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback as well @donatom3 :+1:

• @donatom3 Please make sure you have Accessibility enabled in 1Password's settings. Chrome and Chrome based browsers don't support Autofill, but we do support filling there by way of our accessibility service. On your end, it should look just like Autofill, but it works differently under the hood.

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member

@peri I do have both accessibility and autofill turned on. The tile is a workaround for the times that Accessibility doesn't detect a field on a page. For example on some pages (I'll try to write down which but it's random) I will initially get thee prompt but if I mis click the prompt will not come back when I go back to the password or username field. Sometimes even force closing the browser and reloading the app doesn't help.

• I see. As you mentioned not being able to fill in Chrome based browsers, I thought Accessibility was disabled. Thanks for clarifying that.

• jallulskan
    jallulskan
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

+1 to this feature request. I'm also coming from LastPass and relied heavily on the quick tile. This would make 1Password much easier to use when the autofill prompt fails to display, or if I accidentally close the prompt.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this too @jallulskan :+1:

• harbinger1080
    harbinger1080
    Community Member

Way late, but I'm moving off of LastPass since it broke after one of the Android security updates...

This is the one missing feature holding 1Password back for me!

• ag_audrey
    edited February 2021

Hey @harbinger1080, thank you for letting us know. Please make sure you have both Autofill and Accessibility enabled! I've gone ahead and passed your request along to our development team.

• marley2020
    marley2020
    Community Member

+1 from me too, 1password doesn't always trigger automatically (or give the option in auto fill menu), I had the same issue with lastpass

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @marley2020, noted :+1:

• ColeEdanza
    ColeEdanza
    Community Member

Would like to chime in. You will have a new Teams customer as soon as you get a Quick Settings tile

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @ColeEdanza, I have let our developers know that you would also like to see this :+1:

• IsaacMabol
    IsaacMabol
    Community Member

Thanks

• :+1:

• ekidoxx
    ekidoxx
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

+1 from me.

Today I switched from the LastPass, and I am already missing the quick settings tile - since internal part of work-related website has different pages for login and password (kinda like Google does in some cases), it doesn't trigger the autofill popup. In such cases, Lastpass' tile from quick settings was blessing. The popup didn't even want to show when creating account on this site...

I'm really sad not to see such feature in 1Password :c

Was planning on moving all family members to 1P (and few friends, since, well, everyone is lately searching alternatives to LastPass) as well, but gonna wait with that as I can predict their annoyance and whining, when they won't be able to bring 1Password's form fill on demand.

PS. I do have accessibility settings enabled, and while it helps a bit, it is also quite annoying as it adds 4th button on the bottom of my screen, which now I happen to hit by accident :/

PS2. Apparently it's suggested since years: https://mobile.twitter.com/Piitaya/status/809317712354770945

• @ekidoxx Hi! In many cases, you can manually invoke Autofill by long pressing on a login field, then tapping ⋮ in the hamburger menu that pops up, and tapping Autofill from there. This will often bring up the prompt when it doesn't automatically appear.

As to Accessibility, it sounds like you've enabled the shortcut for accessibility services, which you don't need for 1Password. If you go to your Accessibility settings on the device, you can leave the service itself on, and turn off the shortcut. This will remove the icon but allow you to continue using the service to fill.

• ekidoxx
    ekidoxx
    Community Member

I kind of found workaround by using 3rd party app called Tiles (by rascarlo), which lets you create custom quick settings tiles for any application - so I'm using it to quickly open 1Password without the need to go thru all applications in drawer - not as great as it would be with dedicated tile from 1P, but better than nothing ^^'

The long pressing to get to "autofill" button works in regular android apps - will keep that in mind, thank you Peri - but does not in chrome web browser, sadly all I get there is "paste" (from clipboard) option...

Oh, yeah, did not notice that only one of two settings in accessibility is needed, thank you very much.
    However, there's still something weird - even with everything enabled in android's accessibility settings, the 1Password's option ~"Accessibility - Fill login data in supported browsers" (idk how it is exactly pharsed english, as my app runs in polish language) switch never turns on when I try to enable it, it just launches android's accessibility settings all the time...

Android settings -> Acessibility -> Downloaded services -> 1Password -> Enable service (fill login data in supported browsers)
    Android settings - acessibility - downloaded services

1Password settings -> Filling -> 2nd option, fill login data in supported browsers
    1Password settings - Filling

Any idea what am I missing this time?

• @ekidoxx Can you let me know what device you're using? It may be stopping our accessibility service from running in the background.

The long pressing to get to "autofill" button works in regular android apps - will keep that in mind, thank you Peri - but does not in chrome web browser, sadly all I get there is "paste" (from clipboard) option...

Chrome doesn't fully support Autofill. Instead, it supports something called Autofill Compatibility Mode, and Accessibility, which is why you're not able to this in Chrome. But you can indeed manually invoke filling in apps that support Autofill as well as browsers like Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and Firefox Focus.

• ekidoxx
    ekidoxx
    Community Member

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. After three restarts of the phone, android's accessibility settings kicked in and the option in 1P enabled itself - so was some phone's internal bug of not actually enabling accessibility settings :sweat:
    Now everything works :+1:

Thanks for your support, and have a nice day @peri

PS. Still will be looking forward to 1Password's own quick settings tile feature ;p

• @ekidoxx, thank you so much for the update! On behalf of @peri, you're very welcome.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.