Mac OS 10.11.6 and 1Password

kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

I'm running 1Password v7.x on all of my current computes on Mac OS 10.15.x, but I have an older Mac that I still use for various things that's running Mac OS 10.11.6. It's still a very robust computer, but because of it's age I can't update the OS beyond what it currently is, as it's no longer supported. So to that end, how do I go about installing/using 1Password on this box, other than via the web page? I have 1Password v6 installed on this box from years ago. Is there any way to connect it to 1Password "cloud" (or whatever it's called)?

Cheers

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kappabear!

So to that end, how do I go about installing/using 1Password on this box, other than via the web page?

Can you please clarify what you mean by "via the web page"?

Is there any way to connect it to 1Password "cloud" (or whatever it's called)?

If you have a recent enough version of 1Password 6, you will be able to do this. What exact version of the 1Password app do you have installed on this older Mac?

• ryancohara
    ryancohara
    Community Member

I'd be interested in this answer, as well.

I need to have regular access (w/o repeatedly signing in w Secret Key online) to my 1Password account on a 2007 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6.

The App Store and online account only gives me the opportunity to download 1Password 7, which my machine (running 10.11.6) isn't capable of running.

Please advise.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020

It may be time to start considering newer devices if at all feasible. I realize these devices are expensive and we're not financial consultants, but from a security perspective being stuck with an OS that is a number of major versions out of date on an internet connected device is far less than ideal. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. In the case of macOS 10.11 newer hardware that is capable of running a modern operating system would be the only recourse I could suggest. If there is some reason that you have to continue using this machine, I'd strongly recommend considering disconnecting it from the internet.

Ben

• doug_eddy
    doug_eddy
    Community Member

I have the same problem. My current MBP is giving up the ghost and my new iMac won't be here for weeks. If this one give out I will be forced to use my very old MBP as a backup. Only choice I now have if forced to that is I will have to use 1 Password on my iPhone or iPad Pro to get sign in info - very labor intensive. I appreciate the security concerns you mention. Hopefully I can limp along for a month or so. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience with us @doug_eddy. We understand the challenge, so I hope that your new iMac will be there soon :)

This discussion has been closed.