Why is my 1Password Master Password different on the website and my local Mac app and iPhone app

Options
gadgetdoctor
gadgetdoctor
Community Member

I changed my master password on my Mac and 1Password on my iPhone. I can't remember if this change happened automatically.

I go to my family account on the web and for some reason it wants my old Master Password (thankfully I figured that out).

What is the correct way to change the Master Password?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.15.4
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gadgetdoctor

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion caused here. The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

If you are using a membership then we recommend removing any standalone vaults after transitioning their content to membership based vaults so as to avoid this confusion. Dropbox should be uninvolved in your 1Password setup when using a membership. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• gadgetdoctor
    gadgetdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

I need to dump the Dropbox old stuff.... I really need to go through and weed it out. I've been using 1Password for a really long time!

• Ben
    Options

I can relate! :) I still have an Archive vault with logins going back to 2007 that should probably just be deleted. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Ben

• gadgetdoctor
    gadgetdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

I copied the entire dropbox vault into a new vault within my 1password sync and have deleted the Dropbox vault "Primary". Earliest things in there are Dec 2007 too. I guess I'm a very loyal user.

Should I now manually changed the password at 1password.com - I still think it relates to the old password I have and not the one I'm using on my phone or Mac.

• gadgetdoctor
    gadgetdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh I hadn't actually deleted the Dropbox Vault, now I see the process. It wants to set my master password back to the one on the Dropbox account. I will have to do this and then switch it back to the one I'm using now.

I understand what's going on here. I guess this was the only way to get this done.

• gadgetdoctor
    gadgetdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Last issue: I can't seem to delete the dropbox vault (now empty) from my phone. Whatever combinations of master password I use seem to fail.

It accepts the master password for the Dropbox Vault (I think) but fails when I put in my present family master password.

Is there any downside to just deleting everything from my phone and re-syncing? I don't think so but I'm going to wait.

It is not an understatement to say that my entire digital life depends on 1password so I'm being hyper careful here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gadgetdoctor:

It accepts the master password for the Dropbox Vault (I think) but fails when I put in my present family master password.

Are you able to login to your Families account in a browser, rather than in the 1Password app?

This discussion has been closed.