Creating more than 1 private vault

Options
mrbeign
mrbeign
Community Member

With the family plan is it possible to create a second private fault that is only accessible by that account and not by another family organizer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

No, unfortunately not.

• Hey @mr_beign, XIII is correct here. There isn't a way to create a second Private vault that Family Organizers can't add themselves to. The best way to handle this would be through tags, which can organise items within vaults. Is there a particular reason why you wanted more than one Private vault? It may be a use case we've not considered before, and there may even be a better alternative than tags depending on what you want to do.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

My use case: a vault for "archived" credentials (accounts that I deleted online, but still want to keep a record of).

• I don't want them in my primary vault, because Watchtower might complain about them and I can't change anything (since the account is already gone).
    • I don't want them in another vault available for other family members (even thought the accounts don't exist anymore).
  • Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing @XIII. :)

Ben

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks for the replies, I was initially using 1password as a single account and I had set that account up with having 2 vaults. One was a personal vault and the other was for work accounts. I liked the idea of having work accounts in a separate vault as there could be times I'd want to utilize the travel feature to have that vault removed from my devices.

On the family plan, I only have the option to have a single vault completely private. I don't want my work accounts accessible to other family organizers, there are also some personal accounts I don't want accessible to them either. The current solution for me is to put the work accounts into my private vault and use tags, however I'll be losing the ability to utilize the travel feature.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing this with us @mr_beign :+1: If keeping some items completely inaccessible from other family members is the most important thing for you, you will have to use tags inside your Private vault. But if Travel Mode is more important instead, you could use a separate Business account just for work reasons.

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana. Yes, it's a compromise I'll have to make, it's just a difference between a single account vs a family account I didn't realize there was. I'll just use tags since the company wouldn't reimburse, paying for an additional business account just doesn't make sense for me.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. Sorry about that @mr_beign.

Ben

• imstf
    imstf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I ran into a similar problem with having only one private vault. My Wife and I have our own individual set of usernames and passwords that we would like to keep separate and private from each other, mostly because there are duplicate websites that would make it confusing. If you don't support two private vaults how would we go about dividing our information and keeping it private from one another?

• @imstf

Two Private vaults are not supported within a single account. You would each need your own account as in a Families membership. In that case, your private details would be private to each of you.

You could also achieve this with two individual accounts, but you would loose sharing logins in the Shared vault.

I hope that helps.

• imstf
    imstf
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you for the reply. I apologize for not specifying that we do share a family account. I created her a vault of her own but as the family organizer I am able to access that vault. Is there a way to change this that I am missing.

Thank you,

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ah, that makes sense, the portion of you creating a vault for her.

She should have a vault called Private in her Account that you do not have access to. She should log in to whatever machine she is using and move all of the items from the vault you created to her Private vault. Once complete, you can remove the vault you created. From that point on, only she will have access to those items.

As it stands now, her setup may look like this.

• Private (private to her only), * Vault you created for her (You have access, and so does she), Shared (among the family members)

It should end up something like this.

• Private, Shared
This discussion has been closed.