Cleaning up vault before adding new family member results in everything visible in trash

Options
sdg
sdg
Community Member

Hey there -

Posting a scenario identical to "Moving an item is actually copy + move to trash"
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/555889#Comment_555889
but with a family use case. Figured you didn't want family talk on the business part of the forum.

So my wife and I have a family plan and keep everything in a Shared vault, nothing in our private vaults. Partly that's because we were using it before teams, and set up the syncing that way, and partly because it's just easier, we trust each other, and we value quick access in emergencies rather than privacy from each other.

My father in law passed a way a few months ago, and after many years of recommending it to her, my mother in law is finally getting set up in 1Password. She saw how hard is was to deal with everything for his death without it, and wants us to have it easier when the time comes.

We've decided to bring her into our family plan, she'll store all her stuff in her private vault, and we'll have a copy of her emergency kit.

To prep for this, I created a new vault for my wife and I, and moved everything from Shared to the new vault, which only my wife and I have access to, so that my mother in law would not have access to it.

Unfortunately, not knowing that "move" was actually "move to new folder" and "move to trash", and having no indicator of that in the app, when she logged in, she had access to everything of ours in the trash. Now we all trust each other here, so this wasn't catastrophic, but it was certainly unexpected, unclear, and in other families, could have had a much worse impact. I really think this needs to be changed in some way.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sdg!

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us! My understanding is that this was done to avoid potentially losing access to data: say you move data to a different vault by mistake, or if you don't have permissions to move items back into the original vault afterwards. So in order to protect you from this scenario, the copied items are moved to the vault trash for easy recovery. At least in this case, should you not want the data there, you can always empty the trash.

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not finding another discussion on this, but I might not be searching well for it. My thoughts about this topic are coming from reading that move is actually copy and trash (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/555889), and that the only way to keep someone from having access to a site (or anything else) they used to have access to it to change the credential. Is there a way, when users leave a company, to get a list of passwords they had access to, so that you know what you have to change? I know you can work your way through the groups and such, but having an audit list of "change these credentials" would be more helpful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member
    Options

I get that reason. But I think that the app takes that action needs to be explicit in the app. I can't think of another app I use where moving something leaves a copy of it behind, so I think a notification to the user whenever something is moved would at least take away the surprise part of it, and let users know that there is more action to take to finish the task they were trying to accomplish. Alternatively, you could choose to warn for the other scenario you are worried about, something like: "you are about to move an item somewhere you can't get it back from, are you sure you want to do that."

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @sdg. I think on the whole we agree - we just need to find an agreeable way to present this in the UI. Popping up a box every time someone tries to move an item is probably a non-starter. We'll keep brainstorming.

As for the business side of things, there are some reporting features that may be of help:

Create reports in 1Password Business

Ben

This discussion has been closed.