There is no "generate password" or "save new login" choice in my 1password settings in windows 10?

There is no "generate password" or "save new login" choice in my 1passwordx settings in windows 10?

1Password Version: 7.4.763 (build #763) – released 2020-04-01
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:There is no "generate password" or "save new login" choice in my 1password settings in windows 10?

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @hwallach77! I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Neither of those options exist on the 1Password X settings page. You'll want to check out this specific guide for saving and filling items in 1Password X. I hope that helps a bit, but please let me know if you have any questions!

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

How then do you store a password for a website where there was no prompt to save the password in 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hwallach77:

Can you give us an example where this is happening to you?

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

Trying to store the password for my new Social Security account. That's just one example... but several times the option to store the new password in 1Password, does not appear, so what to do when that happens?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hwallach77:

It sound like you might want to edit the item manually: click on the 1Password X icon in your browser, select the login you want to edit, and click on the Edit button in the bottom left corner of the window. There, you will be able to add any information to a 1Password item, even without being on its website.

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

I think that you misunderstand. When I create a new login to a new website, 1Password is supposed to ask if I want to add that new password for that new website to my 1Password. Sometimes I do not get that prompt from 1Password. So my question is what do I do in that circumstance, if I want to add that new password for that new website to my 1Password if I am not prompted by 1Password.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@hwallach77 – You're correct in that 1Password X should be displaying a Save in 1Password option underneath fillable fields, just like the screenshot below.

If you aren't seeing that option on a specific website, we definitely want to know about it. Your social security account, for example, do you recall the website URL? I'd love to test it out on my end and see if I'm getting the same results.

For adding a new Login item without the help of that Save in 1Password button, you can click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click the big + button, then select Login. That'll open the 1Password web app in a new tab, and you can manually add a title, your username, your password, and the website URL.

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

kaitlyn...thank you so much for your information was very helpful. I went to test out the website myself before sending you this note and found the following. When you set up an account, you're placed in a different page, and when i keyed in my account name and password, the "Save 1Password" prompt did not appear, and I did not go back at that point. Today when I went to login, the prompt did appear.....but upon then using the 1Password password to login into my account, it did not work? It brings you to the login page, but does not enter the information. The website email address is: www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

@hwallach77 – You're so welcome! :blush:

Interesting. Perhaps try doing those same steps but clicking inside the username field. Some websites require focus to be inside one of the fields before password managers can fill.

Do you visit the following URL to sign into your account?

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

no, but perhaps I should? I login using www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@hwallach77 – I don't see a username and password field on that page. Do you click somewhere to get to a different page that allows you to fill your credentials and sign in?

• hwallach77
    hwallach77
    Community Member

There is a SIGN IN in the blue bar at the top. Then select Government Services Online, then select Login to GSO.

• cecelia
    edited April 2020

Thanks for the clarification, @hwallach77! I just created a Login item for www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount using the URL for the page with the sign-in form on it (https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/LoginWeb/loginHandler.do?SUITE=G2GSO), and then used the Go button in the 1Password X pop-up from within that Login item. It turns out Kaitlyn's suggestion from before is spot-on. I needed to click into the username field once I was on the site in order for my credentials to fill.

1Password tries to find the fields within the sites that open when you use the Go (and fill) feature, but some sites insist on placing cursor focus elsewhere which can prevent us from being able to fill. Can you try that and see if clicking in the username field to place cursor focus in it works after using the "Go" button in the pop-up results in your credentials filling properly?

• jmmccrary
    jmmccrary
    Community Member

I am also getting this issue a lot. I see the Save in 1Password button but its greyed out when creating accounts for new websites. Also I have been trying to use the 1Password Password Generator to start using more complex passwords and I end up creating one and its not saved. This then causes me to have reset password for newly created web account.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong. I did find in Support that this Generated Passwords are saved in the Password Category but I dont see that Category in the system.

Please help,

Thanks,
    Mike

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmmccrary:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong. I did find in Support that this Generated Passwords are saved in the Password Category but I dont see that Category in the system.

When you open 1Password X, what do you actually see when you open the category list? For example, this is where I see the Passwords category in my 1Password X browser extension:

• jmmccrary
    jmmccrary
    Community Member

Using Windows version. Version is up to date.

• jmmccrary
    jmmccrary
    Community Member

Here is an example of when I try to generate a password when creating a new account on a website. It doesn't save it anywhere that i can find. This was Old Navy website.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmmccrary:

After you click on the Use Suggested Password button or the Save in 1Password button, do you see a new entry either in the Password category or the Login category? You have to save the generated password before you can see it inside 1Password: simply generating one is not enough.

This discussion has been closed.