Trying to bring back local vault

madflute
madflute
Community Member

Hi, I know this is not recommended but I really need the local vault back. I am using cloud vaults but its password is rather difficult to type and I type too slow to hide from someone watching over my shoulder. On the other hand, the local vault password I use is easier to type and I can type it fast enough to prevent anyone to guess.

My 2 Macs, 2 Windows, and 2 iOS devices are all set but not 2 other Macs. Their 1Password is not linked to 1Password Keychain I have on Dropbox for some reason. They even don't have Sync tab in the preferences. Again, I know having 2 different passwords is not recommended but I really need this. Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @madflute!

Have you considered using Touch ID to unlock your 1Password app? Alternatively, remember that you can always tweak the auto lock settings in your 1Password Preferences without having to use a less secure Master Password if you find yourself typing it too often.

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, none of my Macs has Touch ID. Since the machines in question right now are Macbook Pros, I can't ease on auto locks. I know it is not easy to explain to others why I need this.

The same goes for browser extensions. I need them to be auto-locked in 2 min or so, but if I take time to type the cloud master password every time then surrounding people will remember it whereas my local master password I type fast cannot be taken.

• @madflute

This really isn't a configuration we can support; sorry. While it may be technically possible now, I can't make any promises that will continue to be the case in the future. If you'd like to do it, with the understanding that it may not work anymore at any point in the future, you can enable standalone vaults in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts. You'll then also likely want to use 1Password > Preferences > Vaults > Show in All Vaults to remove the Primary vault from view, and change your Vault for Saving to an appropriate membership-based vault.

Again this isn't something we recommend and we're unable to provide support if it stops working or doesn't work as expected. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, Thank you so so so much! Now I see the sync tab. I totally understand this is not a supported feature and I promise I will not complain when it stopped working.

The reason why I have been struggling with this is that last year Dropbox started to limit to 3 devices unless you pay a butt load of money which I don't want to. Until this, I had no problem syncing local 1password master between 9 devices I daily use (and need 1Password). Every time I upgrade OS or peripheral, I lose Dropbox and 1Password is the one gets in trouble.

So, I need to move the local master password to pCloud which has nice encryption. I just want to run by this with you before I start experimenting. I want to start over instead of copying my old 1password.keychain from Dropbox.

In Pref
    1) Go to Sync tab and select 'Folder' on pCloud volume
    2) Go to the Security tab and change Master Password (and this is NOT changing the master password of my account, yes?)
    3) Disengage Primary vault under Vault tab
    4) Go to all the other devices I have and do step 1) only but no need to do the rest of the steps?

Did I get this right?

• You're welcome. I wish I could be of further assistance but again pCloud isn't a solution that we support, and so I'm not able to provide instructions for syncing with it. That said...

Step 2 is unnecessary, and is more apt to cause difficulties. When you created the Primary vault you would've established a Master Password for that vault. This is your "local" Master Password, as you say. You would also do step 3 on each device as those settings are per-device.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Thank you @Ben,
    A bit confused. If I skip step 2, where/how do I define the local Master Password? Just to be clear, I am not copying the old 1passwrd.keychain from Dropbox. I rather want to start over clean.
    Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it.

• When you check the 'allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts' you are creating a Primary vault, and will establish a Master Password for it.

Ben

• madflute
    madflute
    Community Member

Is it not just a copy of the Cloud Master Password to local and I still need to change it if I want the local Master Password to be different from the cloud Master Password, or am I way off?

• @madflute You may be right, and if that is the case then you'd be correct about needing to change the Master Password... however, I would recommend doing that before setting up any sort of syncing. Master Password changes in standalone vaults are not always reliably synced.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.