Restored yesterday's 1PW backup - the backup is missing nearly 2,900 passwords

Options
Mark A Talbot
Mark A Talbot
Community Member

I was attempting to restore a big screwup I made to a banking password and associated account info. I thought the easiest way would be to restore yesterday's backup, (I had made no changes to 1PW today) which shows there are 2908 passwords in there. When I restore that version, only 64 passwords are available in all vaults. OH NO :-0
I tried the restore point from the day previous, I had only changed added a few passwords since then. Same result.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Restored yesterday's backup - its missing nearly 2030 passwords

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mark A Talbot!

Where is your 1Password data currently stored? Or in other words, what sync service are you using? I notice you did not include this information in your original post.

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member
    Options

This Mac is set up to run a 1Password WLAN server which includes syncing of this vault to iOS devices. Also sync with primary vault on iCloud

• Ben
    Options

@Mark A Talbot

Thanks for that information. Syncing the same vault with multiple services is not a supported configuration, and may be part of the difficulty here. So we can get a better idea of the current situation I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. You will need to change the default To: line to this.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/556655/#Comment_556655
    • Your forum username: Mark A Talbot

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, I just sent that diagnostic info to support. I should have mentioned in the email that I am backing up into a Sync.com cloud.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Mark A Talbot. Could you please let me know what support ID(s) you got back from BitBot?

Ben

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben [#IQR-73333-566]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Mark. Taking a look now and will be in touch as soon as I'm able to make any determination. :+1:

Ben

ref: IQR-73333-566

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben OK here's what just happened. When I restored, it apparently lost track of my registration. I just got a nagware message to "Upgrade to 1Password 7" for just $2.99/month or somesuch. It honestly looked like a promo, not a legit login prompt or workflow process. I dismissed it a couple of times, but just now for grins, I clicked the tiny link at bottom of this dialog to "activate an existing membership" It then prompted me to sign in, which I did, and all passwords restored.
    So - semi solved for now.
    And - that seems like a slightly non-obvious broken/misleading UI problem. >_<
    That said, earlier you commented that "_Syncing the same vault with multiple services is not a supported configuration_" Lets talk about your recommended best practices around this. Seems strange to offer such config option to the user in the GUI without any warnings or caveats there to state this.

Lets talk about my use case: I consult to public and private agencies, both US Domestic and Foreign. I often have secure access to their webservers and other cloud-based storage for collaboration. Besides a security hardened MacBookPro, they require that my 1PW backups reside on something other than DropBox, iCloud or Google Drive. I use Sync.com - they have a Global data privacy compliance policy adequate for these requirements and more robust than the aforementioned cloud services. This is where my restore points are for 1PW. Please let me know if I should consider a different way to provide sync for my macOS 7 iOS devices. :)

• Ben
    Options

@Mark A Talbot

I just sent you a follow-up email. To avoid duplicating efforts, let's continue there. :)

Ben

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member
    Options

I apologize if this is a duplicate post. The forum interface is giving me serious glitches when I tried to edit this post for accuracy.

@Ben OK here's what just happened. When I restored, it apparently lost track of my registration. I just got a nagware message to "Upgrade to 1Password 7" for just $2.99/month or somesuch. It honestly looked like a promo, not a legit login prompt or workflow process. I dismissed it a couple of times, but just now for grins, I clicked the tiny link at bottom of this dialog to "activate an existing membership" It then prompted me to sign in, which I did, and all passwords restored.
    So - semi solved for now.

And - that seems like a slightly non-obvious broken/misleading UI problem. ><
    That said, earlier you commented that "_Syncing the same vault with multiple services is not a supported configuration
    " Lets talk about your recommended best practices around this. Seems strange to offer such config option to the user in the GUI without any warnings or caveats there to state this.

Lets talk about my use case: I consult to public and private agencies, both US Domestic and Foreign. I often have secure access to their webservers and other cloud-based storage for collaboration. Besides a security hardened MacBookPro, they require that my 1PW backups reside on something other than DropBox, iCloud or Google Drive. I use Sync.com - they have a Global data privacy compliance policy adequate for these requirements and more robust than the aforementioned cloud services. This is where my restore points are for 1PW. Please let me know if I should consider a different way to provide sync for my macOS 7 iOS devices. :)

• Ben
    Options

As we've got the conversation on these points going via email I'm going to close this thread, but am happy to discuss further there. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.