CLI edit logins function?

andrew_piccolo
andrew_piccolo
Community Member
edited November 2018 in CLI

It would be very helpful to have the ability to simply edit a login item. In order to achieve changing the password of a login on the CLI you must first get the info from the item, parse it, and create a new login item, extracting the title and url from the JSON to pass as named arguments to the create command. And then delete the old one.

Also having trouble creating the JSON to match existing login item formatting for multi URLs like: item["overview"]["URLs"] = [ {"l": name1, "u": url1}, {"l": name2, "u": url2, {"l": name3, "u": url3}, } ] because our login items have multiple URLs to use them at, can --url=url be multiple urls? Docs are unclear.

The use case I am looking for is a way to rotate passwords for shared logins in our own application, which we can do in a script with the exception of updating the shared logins stored in our 1password vaults. Would love a feature something like op edit item <item> --password='supersecurepassword123'.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tinydragon
    tinydragon
    Community Member

Same here ... editing items is sorely missing, in particular for the rotating passwords use case.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for writing in! We're aware that item editing is a highly sought after feature, and we're currently investigating the best way to implement it. We are currently not satisfied with the way that items are handled in the CLI (messy, unintuitive), and we're hoping to overhaul it entirely which will make item editing possible (and actually nice to use)

Keep an eye out for future updates!

• kajsa_a
    kajsa_a
    Community Member

I came here looking for exactly this feature, for a similar use case.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know @kajsa_a :+1:

• c__
    c__
    Community Member

Any good news in 2020? Thanks, team!

• felix_1p
    felix_1p
    1Password Alumni

@c__ we are currently designing the editing experience, but we can't share a concrete timeline.

• felix_1p
    felix_1p
    1Password Alumni

As of v0.10.0, the 1Password command line tool has a edit item command with which existing fields of an item can be updated. See https://support.1password.com/command-line-reference/#edit-item for more information!

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

That's great, @felix_1p ! I had checked again as recently as 9 days ago (when the current op was 0.9.4) and did not see editing support at that time. It's great to hear that it is available now, I will have to take a look. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Felix, you are welcome @c__ :)

This discussion has been closed.