1PW Start-up Issue: Microsoft Surface Pro 6 on Windows 10

Hello! I have a Surface Pro 6 running Windows 10. 1PW will start up normally when I open the app for the first few sessions, then it will stop -- it will not start up at all, or will only appear in the notification section of my taskbar, but will not fully load. I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled 1PW on my Surface, and still -- it will function normally for the first few sessions, but eventually will stop loading.

Is there a compatibility issue? I have tried to run 1PW on different compatibility settings, and it seemed to work for a while... then it stopped again. And sometimes "running as administrator" works... I feel like I'm trying anything I can think of, but nothing is consistently working.

I love 1PW, and have it installed on Chrome and Edge, so that helps. It would be nice if the app ran more reliably as a Windows app though! Thanks in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• If 1Password is in your notification areas, @imso_fanc, that should mean everything is working fine. That tray icon should only show when 1Password is up and running. There is one exception to that rule – if it crashes, then that tray icon will persist until you mouse over it because Windows doesn't clear those icons when an app crashes – but otherwise, its presence is a pretty good indicator that 1Password is running and happy. Plus, I'd wager in trying to figure out the trouble, you probably would have hovered over that icon at some point and thus would have noticed it disappearing.

So this tells me I must be missing something here. Treat me like a dummy for a moment. What happens normally? What's different when it stops working a you expect? Make sure to include things like what you do and the results you expect to see, even if they seem obvious. 1Password can be a bit of an oddball at times. It's got its quirks versus what some folks tend to expect on Windows so things that don't seem to matter might and I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much detail. If I'm bored by the end, you're probably doing it right, so bore away. :wink:

• imso_fanc
    imso_fanc
    Community Member

Thanks, @bundtkate! Of course, as I'm trying to retrace my steps, 1PW seems to be working fine now...

Typical steps when I _do _encounter start-up issues:
    1. Hit Window key for menu.
    2. Type "1P" and hit Enter key to run 1PW app. I expect to see the main app open where I can log in.
    3. Nothing happens for a long enough amount of time that I notice/get annoyed (2-5 minutes seem like a long time for an app to do nothing). This means no app window appears; nothing appears in the taskbar or tray icon.
    4. OR the tray icon appears, but the app itself does not (again, after several minutes of waiting).
    5. I check Task Manager to see if the app has even attempted to start up and I just can't get to it, but I don't see it in Task Manager.
    6. I give up and use the mobile app.

• Sometimes, I'll switch things up and try to use keyboard shortcuts to open the app or the mini app -- either step 3 or 4 from above happens.
    • If I still have the set-up file downloaded, sometimes I will try launching from there. Not the norm, I don't think, but sometimes it works. Again, step 3 or 4 occurs.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide! I tried to make it as boring as possible... but there weren't many steps to retrace! :) Thanks again.

• If you still have a setup file, @imso_fanc, that could honestly be the trouble. Windows search isn't all that consistent with what I brings up absent a full file name, in my experience. Searching for 1P could give you 1Password's actual exe sometimes and a setup file other times. These will behave differently with an existing install. Running the exe will bring up the lock view. Setup file, will rerun setup and potentially leave 1Password in the background and hidden. 1Password should start when you log in to Windows. Every time. So I'd stick to the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + Shift + \ for main app, Ctrl + Alt + \ for mini) and avoid searching Start as a first step to see if that helps. It could be there is still a problem, but search is really a bit too inconsistent to properly account for it. Depending on what you've downloaded/installed recently, it may give you wholly different results that aren't obvious at a glance, so I'd like to take it out of the equation. Try to stick to the shortcuts for a bit and let me know what you find. :+1:

• imso_fanc
    imso_fanc
    Community Member

Thanks, @bundtkate! I deleted the installation file and I'll keep an eye on its behavior -- will keep you posted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @imso_fanc :+1: And on behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome!

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.