Safari Toolbar Direct Links

Options
jtice1
jtice1
Community Member

In older versions of 1PW there was a feature that allowed you to drag a login onto the toolbar to create a instant link that would open a page and log you in with one click. I don't remember exactly what they were called –– something like Direct Browser Links. I made use of them for sites I use often and it was wonderful. But 1PW7 does not seem to do this, or at least not the same way. I can drag a login onto the toolbar, and it creates a link, but it doesn't work correctly or at least not consistently. Sometimes it does nothing. Sometimes it opens a page and pops up a note asking if I want to allow 1PW to open the page, and I click "Allow" but it does nothing. But sometimes it actually does work. I don't know why. Some older links, created with previous versions, do seem to work. I really want to get this functionality back and learn the ins/outs –– and to turn off that popup that asks if I want to allow 1PW access. Can anyone explain it, or point me to instructions? Thanks!

1PW 7.4.3 | MacBook Pro, late 2013 | OS 10.14.6

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jtice1! Welcome to the forum!

I must be honest: I have never heard of this functionality before, so if it existed at one point, it might be very old now. I am not aware of this feature being available in the latest version of the 1Password apps.

• jtice1
    jtice1
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it was promoted as one of the cool things you could do with 1PW. It was extremely simple, but one of my favorites. I still have a half dozen in my toolbar that work perfectly. Very useful for sites that require you to log in each time, and otherwise, one-click access to frequently visited sites. I'm sure some of the old timers will remember.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jtice1

I do remember what you're referring to. They were called 1Click Bookmarks. I haven't seen or heard any reference to them in years, and it doesn't appear we have any documentation on them anymore, even internally. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that probably isn't a very good sign for them. I'm honestly a bit surprised that they work at all anymore.

As far as Safari prompting if you're sure you want to allow 1Password to open the link, that is a security feature of Safari that cannot be disabled. It isn't something we're able to work around, which may be part of why we stopped efforts on them. It'll pop up any time an external application wants to handle a link from Safari (e.g. you'll see this with other applications too, not just 1Password).

I'll dig a bit further and see if there is anything else I can find, but the best I can tell from initial research is that this went the way of the Dodo quite some time ago.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.