Which extension on Mac?

Options
rune5
rune5
Community Member

Which extension on Mac? There seems to be both 1Password and 1Password X?
I have 1Password 7 for Mac and use many browsers. I have not checked IOS yet.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Which extension on Mac?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rune5!

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

But ultimately, it is up to you which one you choose: if you have a 1Password Membership, I recommend giving 1Password X a try :)

• rune5
    rune5
    Community Member
    Options

It is confusing. The first line in 1Password X above is "The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed." Which is "the companion browser extension"? Why is it mentioned an apparently another extension that 1Password X in the first sentence about 1Password X? And if I have installed 1Password 7 for Mac on my desktop, I still need 1Password X? Is it better?

I am using Mac and browser Vivaldi. It is also confusing that when I click the mini app in the meny I am asked to install 1Password extension. 1) It is already installed 2) It goes to the wrong extension on the web site - to the "extension to your Mac app" instead of to 1Password X. I don't get that message when I use the browsers Chrome, Firefox or Safari. I had previously installed the browser extension in all browsers, but now I wonder if I should change to 1Password X in all browsers?

• Ben
    Options

It is really your preference here, @rune5. "Better" is entirely subjective, but 1Password X is indeed newer and the direction we're likely to be heading. Ultimately I think we'd like to combine the functionality of the two extensions and only have one, but we aren't there yet.

As it stands 1Password X doesn't "talk" to 1Password for Mac, so 1Password for Mac has no idea it is installed. That is why you see that message about needing to install the extension in 1Password for Mac. We have a beta version available that adds this communication between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉

If you're going to run both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X (instead of just 1Password X) you may be interested in trying that out. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.