MacBook Not Updating

martinnel
martinnel
Community Member

My Mac Pro is my primary computer which is why this has taken so long to notice.

1P in my MacBook hasn't updated since 10/10/18, my desktop and phone seem to update regularly. How do I remedy this?

Martin

Desktop info below
MacBook: 1P v. 6.8.9, 1P Extension v. 4.7.5.90, MacBook OS 10.12.6,

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @martinnel

Officially 1Password 6 is the last version of 1Password to support macOS 10.12. 1Password 7 requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later. In order to take advantage of 1Password 7 you would need to upgrade your OS. That said, unofficially, 1Password 7 will actually install on macOS 10.12, but we do not list it as a supported OS as there are some features (namely Touch ID) which do not work well with it. The best route would be to upgrade if at all possible.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. At the same time I'm dealing with this I am in the process of updating my MacBook to 10.13.6—for reasons not worth going into here, that's the latest I can install. I'm having trouble getting 10.13.6, but once I have, is my family license on my desktop sufficient to install it on my laptop?

And do you think having an earlier version on my laptop is what's causing it not to update?

• There is no such thing as a family license for 1Password 7, but if it is a 1Password 7 license then it can be used by you with 1Password 7 on any of your compatible Macs. That said, we're no longer advertising licenses. Membership is the way forward. You may want to consider upgrading to a membership:

About 1Password membership

And do you think having an earlier version on my laptop is what's causing it not to update?

Two things are causing it to not update:

1. The version of macOS
    2. Not having a membership - the upgrade from v6 to v7 is only automatically pushed out for membership customers, as for license customers it is a separate purchase

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

And do you think the v.6 vs 7 is causing it not to sync?

• @martinnel

I wasn't aware there was a sync issue. I was under the impression we were talking about the fact the version of 1Password software on your MacBook hadn't updated in some time. How are you syncing your data currently?

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

Sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. My MacBook hasn't_synced_ since October.

• Gotcha. How are you syncing your 1Password data?

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

I don't remember and can't figure out where within the app I go to find out.

Martin

• @martinnel

I see... thanks. Is there any data in 1Password exclusively on the MacBook that is of any value? If not, I'd recommend the following:

1. Sign up for a 1Password membership. You can learn about membership here: About 1Password membership
    2. Use the migration guide to migrate your Mac Pro: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account
    3. Erase the 1Password data and settings on the MacBook using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data option from the menu bar (1Password may need to be locked to enable this option)
    4. Make sure all of your devices are running 1Password 7: 1Password downloads
    5. Sign into your membership that you created in step 1 on each of your devices and delete the Primary vault from each device, if it hasn't been done automatically: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

That's going to be the best way forward. Please let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

I think I have a 1Password membership. I signed up for something last year (after years already of using the app) so I could put my wife on it with her own vault. We still haven't set her up so there's nothing to be lost on her data.

So my current batch of questions:
    1. How do I tell if I've already got a membership?
    2. What about my Android phone and iPad in this process? I'd like to get everything to sync.
    3. You're having me wipe all data; that scares me. Is there a file somewhere I can copy to my desktop so I know I have a backup?

Thanks for your help,

Martin

• @martinnel

How do I tell if I've already got a membership?

We're unable to look up or discuss any specific account information here, as this is a public forum, but we'd be happy to investigate further via email. Please send us a message to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113111/macbook-not-updating#latest

When you email in you'll get an auto-reply from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here so that we can follow up.

What about my Android phone and iPad in this process? I'd like to get everything to sync.

That is one of the main benefits of membership: as long as you're signed into the same account on each of your compatible devices you're able to use the latest versions of the 1Password software and all of your data will automatically be available to you.

1. You're having me wipe all data; that scares me. Is there a file somewhere I can copy to my desktop so I know I have a backup?

I'm only asking you to make deletions on the MacBook which you indicated hadn't been syncing for quite some time. We're not deleting any data from the Mac Pro. That said, 1Password does make automatic backups of your data, and what I suggested above will not delete those. It certainly wouldn't hurt to make sure Time Machine is set up and working properly, though:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Thanks. We can continue via email once you post your support ID. :)

Ben

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

Alright, I've just sent an email.

• martinnel
    martinnel
    Community Member

[#FIQ-65131-835] re forum conversation

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@martinnel:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: FIQ-65131-835

This discussion has been closed.