Select arbitrary password entry in "Update Saved Login" pop-up

Options

Greetings,

This is probably a feature request but just in case there is any way to do this I'm missing I thought I'd ask.

Occasionally I"ll run into an issue where I'm updating the password for a site, and the auth system has a different domain than the site I'm updating. When that happens the "Update Saved Password" dialog will only offer suggestions that match the "example.com" part of the domain. In this case I can't update the password from there, have to close the pop-up, pull up 1password.com in the browser (I use Linux, so no app), find the entry, manually edit the password. Which I then CAN'T do because I accepted the suggested password when I updated the password, so it's not in the clipboard. So now I get to go thru another round of password change, remember not to use the suggested password, click the icon on the browser toolbar, click the plus, choose generate password, copy the password, paste into the password change fields, click the button to change it, close "Update shared login" pop-up cause it won't show me the right login, back to the browser window, change that password manually, hit save.

Whew....

The same problem presents when filling logins, except there is a workaround for it by adding another "Website" field to the login entry for that site so that 1password will offer that entry in the suggested logins. The "Update Saved Login" pop-up appears to ignore those and only show entries that end with the same base domain.

So if there's a better way, I'm all ears, but if not then please consider fixing the "Update Saved Login" feature to work the same as filling the password does.

Thanks!
Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jboren! Thanks for explaining your situation in great detail. It really helps me understand the why behind it, which is super important.

There are a couple of different ways you could go about this situation with the current version of 1Password X, and I'd argue that they're more convenient than the experience you described.

First, I can't think of a website off the top of my head that uses a different domain strictly for changing the password. I've seen quite a few websites that use different domains (or even iframes) for the entire login portion of their site, but that includes the sign in form. In that case, I'd already have the second website URL saved inside my Login item, and therefore I'd be able to select it when the "Update Saved Login" dialog appears. If you happen to have an example of a website that uses a different domain for their password change form, I'd love to get the URL from you so I can do some testing on my end.

As mentioned, the simplest solution here would be to have the domain added as a second website URL to your Login item. Even opening up the item you want to update in a new tab and adding in the second domain real quick would result in the "Update Saved Login" dialog showing that item, which would have avoided the headache in its entirety.

I want to make sure you know that you can always see past passwords you generate, including suggested passwords, by visiting your Generator History. Here's how to get there:
    1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click the + button > Password Generator (or use the Command-G/Ctrl+G keyboard shortcut).
    3. Click Generator History at the bottom.

From there, you can copy the suggested password you used and update the Login item to reflect the new password (I'd also add the second website URL at that time to avoid this entire situation in the future). That would have avoided you needing to go through the password change process again, so I hope it helps you out if you ever run into something similar.

please consider fixing the "Update Saved Login" feature to work the same as filling the password does.

I'm curious what you mean here. The "Update Saved Login" dialog and filling a password are completely different. One fills a password and one updates a Login. I'm unsure how fixing the "Update Saved Login" feature to work the same as filling the password does would solve things. If the "Update Saved Login" feature worked anything like filling the password does, it wouldn't be the same feature. Could you elaborate how you'd like this to look? That should help me process and determine how to frame this feature request to the rest of my team.

This discussion has been closed.