Using 1Password with Telnet and RDP

stephen_f_day
stephen_f_day
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

We have been using KeePass in our business, and it works well with the numerous RDP and Telnet sessions our staff often do in their work. However, we are considering migrating some of the staff to 1Password for other reasons. Unfortunately, we are not able to emulate KeePass's ability to populate username/password into the aforementioned Telnet/RDP sessions other than doing two manual cut-n-paste steps from 1Password. In KeePass, users need only to press Ctrl-Alt-A to autotype login credentials in one easy step. Is there a way to have 1Password do the same?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: IE and Chrome (v 4.7.3.90)
OS Version: Win 7 and 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1Password with Telnet and RDP

Comments

• Hello, @stephen_f_day, and welcome to the forum! 1Password 7 for Windows cannot currently auto-type entries into desktop app dialogues like those you mention, but it is something we're planning to add in a future version. For the moment, copy/paste is one option and Type in Window is another:

https://support.1password.com/1password-mini-windows/#fill-details-in-apps

But we don't yet have an option with a single keyboard shortcut just yet. Hopefully, it will be coming soon to a PC near you, though. :chuffed:

• efunken
    efunken
    Community Member

I would like to second this suggestion.

• Thanks, @efunken! I'll be sure to pass your feedback along as well. :chuffed:

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member

Hi 1password-team. Is there accidently any update on this ? new feature coming to autotype username and/or password in RDP-sessions ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eocula:

We don't have any updates yet, but this is still something that is on our radar :)

• jovigom
    jovigom
    Community Member

Hello. ¿Any news?.

• jovigom
    jovigom
    Community Member

Good Morning.

Any news on the autofill RDP connections feature? Will we have this characteristic ?.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @jovigom,

I merged your other thread into this one as it is related.

There's no news on this. However, in 1Password 7.4 update, we did add the general drag and drop support. If you have the RDP client up with the credential fields, you can now drag any field content from 1Password into the RDP client.

• AdrianAtPCSchool
    AdrianAtPCSchool
    Community Member

I have just imported my RoboForm credentials into 1Password but I am astounded I can't readily select RDP credentials from the MSTSC client without having to drag and drop.... please add my vote towards having this developed sooner rather than later. Thanks, Adrian.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your thoughts on this as well @AdrianAtPCSchool :+1:

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member

You can add me to this list as well. I wish there was just a simple up-vote in these forums rather than the me too method.

• Thanks for that, and for the feedback about the forum. We tend to avoid framing feedback as "voting," as that has a tendency to give the wrong impression. While the volume of requests is certainly one important factor in the decision making process it isn't the only one, and having a voting system would likely lead to questions like "how many votes does it take" or "[xyz] has [123] more votes than [abc], why did [abc] get done and not [xyz]"? Because that isn't how we operate, we try to avoid giving the impression that it is. Additionally in many cases it really helps to have some context as to what customers are trying to accomplish and/or why, which isn't captured in a voting system. Requests tend to be framed as a specific solution/implementation, where instead if we have a conversation and gain that context, we can focus on solving the problem in whatever way ends up being most appropriate instead of on the suggested implementation details.

Ben

• vasek
    vasek
    Community Member

Ok, so I'd like to add my use case. I'm working from my home computer and I can do part of the tasks locally, but for others I need to connect via RDP to my work computer and tackle these tasks there. Both are Windows. I'm using similar set of online services from both machines. Currently, I have 1password desktop app on my home computer (unlocking via Windows Hello fingerprint reader) and I use 1password X on my work computer. I'd like to unlock my 1password only once and use it on both machines. Or, be able to unlock 1password X on my work computer via fingerprint from my local computer (not sure whether this is possible), so I don't have to always re-type my password there.

• With your particular use-case, @vasek, it wouldn't be possible to share Windows Hello credentials between both your local machine and an RDP-accessed machine in tandem with 1Password.

While I understand that it would be super handy, Windows itself doesn't even have the ability to share those credentials across different machines.

• vasek
    vasek
    Community Member

All my credentials are stored in 1Password and I'm using Windows Hello Fingerprint to quickly unlock 1Password on my local computer. So it would be ideal for me to use the unlocked 1Password to send the credentials to the RDP-accessed machine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vasek: I agree, it would be very nice. Perhaps one day this will be possible in Windows :)

• mrgeeezer
    mrgeeezer
    Community Member

Pleeeeeease can you add this feature. So annoying not to be able to use 1password properly on my remote desktop sessions :(

• Hey @mrgeeezer 👋

We don't have any updates yet, but this is still something that is on our radar! I promise!

• GermanIT
    GermanIT
    Community Member

Hi, i agree, copy paste is no chance, but what's about objects they start RDP or teamviwer sessions or telnet/ssh? Yes, we need the default program to start with it, but thats parameters, it's not a chellange, istn't it? Like Remote Desktop Manger and another tools that.. ?

• Hey @GermanIT

Sorry to have you repeat yourself, but I don't quite understand your question. Could you try to explain what you're aiming for, in more detail?

• GermanIT
    GermanIT
    Community Member

We often need Logins outside webbrowser. Like RDP or SSH sessions or something like that. The procedure to start a RDP is first atart the executable and then begin to copy paste into Login form. In tools like Remote Desktop Manager from devolution you can combine both, user password safe and Login protocols in one. Its easy to start the rdp exe with the saved login credentials.

Is this need on the roadmap from 1password?

I hope, my explain was now clear? Im only german ;-)

• @GermanIT:

Thanks so much for expanding! If I understand correctly, you'd like to see 1Password offer autofill suggestions for desktop apps - is that correct?

While 1Password can't offer suggestions for autofill for desktop apps, we suggest using 1Password mini to quickly find the credentials you need for your desktop apps - I've linked a page from our Support guide below that shows how to do so:

Fill details in apps

Let me know how it goes! :smile: :+1:

• CFales
    CFales
    Community Member

I used to be able to do this in 1Password4 by using the cmd:// syntax to have 1Password launch RDP and pass credentials. But this doesn’t work anymore in v7. Having a new entry type (eg. Desktop App) in 1Password that would launch a specified app and pass any credentials would be a nice way to re-enable this missing feature.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @CFales!

Having a new entry type (eg. Desktop App) in 1Password that would launch a specified app and pass any credentials would be a nice way to re-enable this missing feature.

Indeed, this would be a great feature. Meanwhile, I'm using drag and drop from 1Password Mini into the matching fields. :+1:

• CFales
    CFales
    Community Member

Thanks @DenalB

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

:+1:

• Thanks for the suggestion, @CFales! I'll be sure to pass it along to the Development team.

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#185

• mslucas
    mslucas
    Community Member

This is a function I would love. username password in RDP and SSH instead of copy/paste

• Thanks for sharing your feedback @mslucas! 🤗

• Pampu
    Pampu
    Community Member

Hi everyone,

any news regarding this feature idea?

Kind regards
    Dominik

This discussion has been closed.